9. Mother Beast

Ethel heightened her senses and spread her mental strength around the area.

The forest is a great contrast of its name. White Woods is a dark and eerie place, the tall trees obscured the sun from passing through.

The thick branches sway and caused some rustles.

Inside the forest, the temperature is shockingly low, unlike outside na sobrang tirik ang araw.

Dito ramdam mo ang kakaibang lamig, good thing Ethel easily adjusted with place like this, it felt like entering a new dimension.

Ethel didn't dare to be reckless and raised her guard up.

With the help of her mental strength, she discreetly move forward. Deliberately avoiding the lower rank beast resting in the area. It's not a good thing to attract trouble this early.

She carefully dug the herbs she needed before stuffing it into her cosmos bag. Ethel sigh and squinted her eyes, everything is here except for the last one.

She needs to find it.

She was about to walk away when she detect a strong elemental fluctuation.

An elemental beast? Her lips curved into a insipid smirk. How generous.

She pondered for awhile before turning into a black line that flashed through the greens. Ethel didn't slow down and continue tracing the source of the fluctuation.

She came into a halt when the string of her mental strength was cut off. Not bad, this beast is quite powerful. 

It can even purposely detached itself with her planted aura.

She narrowed her eyes and landed on a branch of tree. Elemental Beast weren't less intelligent than humans, she needs to be cautious.

Ethel restrained her mental energy and survey her surrounding. She can still feel the presence of the Beast. She closed her eyes and feel the life in the surroundings.

Ethel's is trying to locate the beast with the used of it's aura. Her vision changes and all she can see is the outline of the forest and the beast nesting around. This ability of hers has its own limitation, and as of now with her current body constitution she can only hold up for minutes.

Heavy breathing and the pungent smell of blood invaded her system. She finally found it and looks like the beast is in the brink of death.

Ethel didn't dare dally and advanced forward, she moved lightly as a cat and didn't even make a sound when she walked. The hearing of this kind of Beast was too sensitive. Even the sound of the wind and falling leaves can alert them.

She arrived at the most deepest part of the forest and get closer with the location of the beast.

And what greet Ethel's sight stunned her. Turn out it's not a he but a she mother beast and based with it's current predicament it was badly injured and is pregnant.

Slowly, she approached the beast but it let out a terrifying growl and showed it's fangs aggressively, acting as if it will pounce on her at any moment.

Faced with a dilemma, Ethel tilted her head and watch the wounded mother beast trying to deliver her baby.

But based on its condition it will be impossible for her baby to survive given her injured body and the poison spreading on the mother's body.

"You're not going to make it and the worst case scenario is you will drag your unborn baby to death's arms" Ethel said calmly.

The mother's beast eyes sharpened when she heard those words, it stared daggers at Ethel and exude an oppressive aura, despite being injured it's aura that was deeply embedded on its bones still can make a mage in First Realm Level 5 sustain a heavy injury. Much less an ordinary person without any ounce of power will surely die on the spot.

Good thing Ethel have a strong resistance and can still withstand the beast defensive aura. She lean forward as she offer her dainty and jade like hand.

"It's all on you now. Do you want to save your unborn child?" The stillness of Ethel's voice penetrate the heart of the beast, it stared at Ethel's resolute gaze and confident eyes.

The mother beast made a choice, for the first time she will trust a human.

"S-save my child" With a glow in it's eyes the mother's said rather softly. Her attitude was neither overbearing nor servile.

She view humans as conniving and despicable beings but now she will trust one, for the sake of her child.

The beast can see that the lady in front of her is a strong person to be reckoned with, standing in front of a thousand year old elemental beast this little lass can withstand her aura, she also can't detect any malicious intentions so she choose to let her guard down.

Ethel nodded and immediately get into action.

***

Note: I've been busy with my acads these past few days kaya mabagal ang update. I will explain to you the ranking of power sa next chapter.