Chapter 3: Withdrawl

Eddie wouldn't consider this an actual date, right? They were just two friends trying to get to know each other better, that's all.

Eddie hadn't actually been on a real date in a while if he was being perfectly honest with himself. There was that girl with blonde hair that he used to date... but she was way to clingy for him. Then, there was that other girl with blue hair... but she went to a different college and they went their mutual ways. What about that girl he met at the cafe? But he never returned her call back.

Gaege, however, was almost a complete stranger to him. They shared almost nothing in common, like sun and night itself. He was a tall, anime geek, jazz- loving, nerd. Gaege was much more adventurous, didn't speak as much as Eddie did, and was much more to himself and shy than Eddie was. He probably didn't even know a single word in Japanese, unlike Eddie, who could recite complete sentences by now and quoted his favorite animes from the top of his head. Why would Gaege want to be friends with him?

"This is one of my favorite places in San Antonio," Gaege's voice snapped Eddie out his thoughts. "What? Oh yeah, it's a nice place to hang out," Eddie answered, his eyes gazing over the groves of trees and sparkling, crystal lake. Their leaves were already beginning to turn different shades of brown and red as the late fall approached. A soft, cool wind picked up, playing and tugging at the strands of his dark hair.

Eddie's shoes crunched against the rocky trail as they continued, and he glanced over at Gaege. Gaege was much shorter than Eddie was, but Eddie didn't mind. The specks of green in his hazel eyes were much more noticeable in the sun, almost like an emerald reflecting the light. He had never met anyone that had such beautiful eyes.

"I know we just met but..." Eddie began to say, swallowing a lump in his throat from an unexplainable nervousnesses swelling in his chest. "But what?" Gaege asked curiously, "What's wrong?"

"There's nothing wrong," Eddie cleared his throat, pressing down the coil of nerves. "I actually... I actually really like talking to you." He said shyly, chuckling as he tried to break the awkward tension between them.

Gaege was silent for a moment, opening his mouth before closing it again. "I really like talking to you too," Gaege replied, avoiding Eddie's gaze shyly. Eddie could still see a hint of a smile appearing on his face, however, as he covered his mouth with the sleeve of his hoodie.

"I haven't really had a lot of close friends since I moved here," Eddie told him after a few moments, "It's been hard to form any real connections after high school. It's scary knowing that I'm growing up so fast and don't have people to spend my last one-and-a-half years with."

Gaege met Eddie's eyes for a few seconds, his eyebrows angling up as he pressed his lips into a line. "I'm scared of growing up too," Gaege finally answered, letting out a soft sigh. "Sometimes I wish I could go back, you know? Back when I didn't have to worry so much. I haven't even fully decided what major I want next year!"

Eddie chuckled, patting his back gently. "It's okay. I was unsure my sophomore year too." Gaege pouted a little, "Yeah, but everyone else knows what they want. I'm just too indecisive."

"Well, for starters, what are you interested in?" Eddie asked him, hoping that he would reveal a little more about himself.

"Umm, I like entertaining people." Gaege scratched his chin thoughtfully. "And I love music and playing the guitar. I've always wanted to be a singer or a songwriter ever since I was a kid, but I never actually had the courage to go for it."

"What? You totally should!" Eddie encouraged him."I've never actually heard you play before, but I'm sure you're great!"

The rounded the corner and over the stone bridge that Eddie was so familiar with already. The sun was beginning to set and the air was growing cooler.

Gaege then stopped, gasping softly as he peered over the edge of the bridge like a little kid. "Wow, this is beautiful!" Gaege said to Eddie over the sound of the rushing stream beneath them. "I've never been to this part of the park before. I usually only go to the main plaza where everyone else is."

Eddie smiled, resting his arms over the sides of the cool, concrete bridge. He pulled the sleeves of his jacket over his arms as Gaege leaned beside him, his shoulder skimming Eddie's slightly. Eddie could see their reflections across the glassy water, and a small frown spread across Gaege's face.

"I probably shouldn't be telling you this so early in our friendship but..." Gaege hesitated, fiddling with his thumb as he continued, "I actually really need someone to talk to at the moment."

Eddie listened intently as Gaege gathered his thoughts. Eddie was slightly afraid of what he was going to say, especially since he wasn't the best at giving advice. He stayed silent however, as Gaege collected his thoughts.

"Me and my dad got into this really big fight before I left to college here." Gaege let out a sigh, rubbing his temples with his fingers. He couldn't meet Eddie's eyes as he ranted, "He wanted me to stay in Florida and get a science degree, but San Antonio has much better opportunities for a musician! And I know it was almost a year ago since it happened, but I've recently started feeling a lot more guilty about it and..."

Gaege buried his face in his hands, shaking his head as he muttered, "I want to talk to him. Apologize even. But I don't know where to even begin. Plus, wanting to pursue a music major... Ugh, he's going to hate me if he finds out that's the real reason I moved."

"He's not going to hate you, Gaege." Eddie hesitated before wrapping an arm around Gaege's shoulder, reminding himself that he was simply comforting him. "It's okay."

Gaege could hardly meet Eddie's eyes, refusing the urge to sob in front of him. "Thank you." Gaege quickly moved away, hugging his arms as he said quietly, "Let's head back to the dorms already. It's getting late."

Gaege left without another word, refusing to allow the sharp sting of tears to stain his red eyes. Eddie was left in a whirl of confusion by his sudden withdrawal, but he didn't want to pry him too far. He followed in silence behind him, the ghost of Gaege's words hanging in the cool air between them.