Birthday Cuddles and Promotion Ceremony

Matt's POV: After bringing everything Gabby asked me to get for her and the kids this afternoon, I smiled when I (finally) came upstairs with the snack I originally promised her that I would get. Walking in, I smiled when I saw Gabby finish setting up the cribs in the sitting area of our room. "So, they are going to sleep over there?" Turning to look at me while still wearing her lingerie, Gabby nodded. "Yeah. I was just thinking about it. I think I'd be ok with having a bit of fun tonight if they are over here." Smirking when she told me that, I went to walk up to our bed and set everything down before proceeding to make my way over to Gabby to hold her close.

"Oh, so you still want me tonight?" Gabby nodded and smirked when I asked her that. "Who else would I want to make love to on his birthday?" I smirked and agreed with Gabby when she told me that, walking right up to her next to the cribs. Wrapping my arms around her once I was standing in front of her, I smiled and then proceeded to bend down to kiss her softly. Taking it slow with me as she wrapped her arms around me, Gabby rubbed my back and smirked because of how happy she is right now. "I love you and I am so glad that this is what we're doing right now. Nothing like me holding you close to me right now." I nodded and agreed with her.

"What do you say we go do that in the bed then? Or do you want to move the kids over here first?" Gabby shook her head. "It's your birthday, so the kids are going to keep spending some time with us in bed." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that, actually really liking that idea. That's when I went to kiss her again and just smiled. "Okay, enough with kissing me. How about we head back to bed and get comfortable again?" I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. Grabbing my hand, Gabby went to walk ahead of me and just smirked because of how happy she is right now. And honestly, I am just as happy.

"How about you go lay down in bed Gabby? Grab the plate and get comfortable. I can set the kids up with their plushies and stuff." Gabby agreed with me and smiled as she let my hand go. She then went to walk back over to her side of the bed to get in. Meanwhile, I looked at Marcus and Sofia while grabbing the diaper bag that I brought upstairs. Going to open it, I smiled at our (adorable) kids. "Yeah, do you guys want to see what daddy brought upstairs for you guys? Well, daddy has some nice plushies for you guys." Going to take them out of the diaper bag, I smiled as I gave them both to Marcus and Sofia. And right away, Sofia squealed because she was happy.

Grabbing her plushie, she started to suck on it. Meanwhile, I went to tug her close to me and just tickled her. "You are so adorable." Grabbing his plushie, Marcus followed his sister's lead and then laid down. Going to look up at Gabby, I saw her with the biggest grin/smile on her face ever. "Now, it's time for daddy to come cuddle up to mommy in bed while we have our snack." Gabby agreed with me and smiled. "You bet it is. Sorry kiddos but, mommy wants daddy to come hold her in his arms." I nodded and just smiled at Gabby when she told me that. Walking over to her, I went to open the covers once again before slipping into bed next to her.

Wrapping my arm around Gabby once I was in bed, I smiled while closing the covers as we both looked at our kids. Laying her head down on my shoulder, Gabby smiled. "God, our kids are adorable." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. Turning my head, I went to kiss her forehead softly and just smiled. "So listen, I need to talk to you about something." Gabby looked up at me when I said that. "What is it?" I sighed. "I need you to come in next shift." Looking up at me, Gabby sighed. "Matt, we said I would rest here next shift." I sighed and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. "I know, I know I did." I then took a breath.

"But while I was downstairs, Commissioner Grissom called me." Gabby looked up at me when I said that. "Everything okay?" I chuckled and just smiled when Gabby asked me that. Grabbing her hand, I went to intertwine our fingers. "I have to give you pretext okay?" Gabby agreed with me and nodded. "You know the whole stuff with the Wuhan COVID virus?" Gabby agreed with me and nodded. "Yeah, I was hoping not to talk about it on your birthday but..." I nodded and agreed with her as she went to grab some of our snack (letting go of my hand in the process). "...I am not going to lie to you and say that it isn't a worry when I am pregnant with our twins."

I agreed with her before proceeding to kiss her forehead softly. "You can always talk to me about anything that is on your mind okay? I am your husband, I am the father of our children...and that is never going to change." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I told her that. "But, that's the thing about why you need to come in next shift. And you don't need to stay the night. You can go home at night now that the kids sleep through the night okay? That's fine, I'll get a ride home with Kelly. But, I still think you should come in during the day so I can help you." Gabby agreed with me and smiled when I told her that. "Okay, that's fair. I can work with that."

I nodded and agreed with her. "But, back to the thing why I want you to come in next shift." Gabby agreed with me when I told her that. "And why's that baby?" I smiled as I turned my head and looked at her. Stroking her hand with my thumb, I smiled at her. "It's my promotion ceremony." Sitting up, Gabby seemed shocked as she looked at me. "What? Really?" I nodded and smiled as I laid back against my pillow. "Yeah, it's my promotion ceremony. Boden has been speaking to the Commissioner and they have agreed that it's time. Boden says he is recovered enough to come for the ceremony. So, they are tired of holding it back." 

Gabby smiled and agreed with me when I told her that. "Wow, that is crazy." I nodded and just agreed with Gabby when she told me that. "And I get you want to rest. I am sorry if I started this off with feeling like it was an ultimatum. But, if you just want to come for the ceremony...it's fine. But I'd really appreciate it if our kids were..." Gabby then went to stop me and came to cuddle up to me once again. Laying down on my chest, I smiled as I went to grab her neck and kissed her softly. "Matt, we are all going to be there. Baby, this is the biggest ceremony in your life. Heck, it's almost enough for me to go get a new dress." I laughed and agreed with Gabby.

"Matt, this is huge and I am not going to miss this. I am going to be there and I am going to be the proudest wife in the entire world." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. "Boden sent me the information that I need to know about to ceremony in my e-mail. So, how about me and you eat our snack? Then, we can look at the e-mail." Gabby agreed with me when I said that and smiled at me. "Yeah, I like that idea. We need to check what I am going to expect." I agreed with her and nodded. "The ceremony is at Firehouse 51 luckily." Gabby laughed and smiled. "That's perfect. Andy will be there with us." That's when I thought of something while going to grab a bite of our snack this afternoon.

"Shit." Gabby just looked at me. "What?" I sighed. "Should I call Heather and ask her if the boys can come?"