The Shimmering city {5}

Years had passed since Trix came to middle earth. She had been wondering fighting monsters and creatures of the dark for a while. 

Trix had found a very Shadow-tamers along the way, it was nice to meet others like her and learn about her culture from them, but still something was missing. 

Eventually she had found Gandalf again and spoken with him asking where her old Kingdom had been.

Gandalf had warned her against going. But Trix was determined. She wanted to see the place she had been born.

And she had finally found it.

Trix looked sadly around the city. It was beautiful, In a haunted way.

Trix could see its former beauty shining through. It had since been overtaken by nature. The burnt buildings covered with ivy.

She walked through the city. Heading towards the castle at the summit. Each step hurt her. She had already seen so many bodies. That had been left in the streets. But she pushed past.

Promising herself that she would be back to give her people the burial they deserved.

She neared the castle and feared what she would find.

The castle itself was beautiful. It reached high towards the heavens and was covered in ivy and roses.

Trix smiled. Underneath the ivy she could see the castle was made of a stunning grey stone that seemed to shimmer as the sun hit it.

"The shimmering city."

She muttered to herself.

Trix took a deep breath before she forced herself through the doors.

The inside of the castle was as beautiful as the outside. The floors were covered in a dark black marble. And the ceiling reflected the night sky.

Trix looked up at it and tearfully smiled. Her stars she had placed on the ceiling of her old house. Were positioned in the same way.

"I was wondering when you would return Princess."

Trix turned and drew her sword. Pointing it at a giant black panther. Who sat behind her.

His green eyes bore into Trix.

He seemed familiar, somehow.

"Who are you?" Trix asked her voice steady despite her unease.

"I am Bastian. And you are Elentiya Grimmborne. You have your fathers eyes."

Trix lowered her sword. "You knew my father?"

Bastian nodded, "I was his right hand and his companion." He stood and moved towards the dais, "I was also the one to take you to Gandalf so he could save you. I fought against Azog."

Trix noticed the panther had a slight limp.

Bastian laid down "I was unable to defeat him. Or protect your parents."

Trix looked down.

Bastian looked at her, "Why did you come Princess?"

Trix looked up, "I go by Trix now. And I came to learn about my family. I..." She looked at the ceiling, tracing the shapes with her eyes, "know so little about my people, about who I am." She looked at Bastian, "As I walked through town, I saw bodies. Now all I wish to do is bury my people the way they deserve."

Bastian's tail swished. "I shall teach you if you wish princess."

Trix looked at the panther hopefully, "Would you?"