Red Strings ➵ R. Kyojuro x T. Giyuu

"This is so stupid."

  Giyuu blankly stared at the small tied string on his ring finger, somewhat amused by the concept. What truly fascinated him was Sanemi's interest in myths, specifically this one.

  Sanemi shrugged his shoulders, his eyes never leaving the red thread. "I don't think it is. Plus, it doesn't hurt to try it out, right?" He reasoned, a small grin on his lips.

  "Why did you even suggest this in the first place? You're not the type to get involved in things like these."

  Sanemi huffed, waving a dismissive hand as he said with a shaky breath, "No reason at all. Just wanted to test the accuracy." He turned his back to Giyuu, hoping he wouldn't notice the bright hue on his pale cheeks. He couldn't give it away that he was deeply in love with him, his best friend of three years.

  Apparently, the red string would attract him towards his destined partner; his soulmate. No matter the place or circumstances, Giyuu will eventually find his way to that person.

  Sanemi could only hope that he was that person.

  Giyuu eyed his best friend, finding his behavior somewhat suspicious, yet he decided to let it slide. He picked at the red thread, unsure if he should go through with it. If, by some miracle, this myth turns out to be true, then he'd come in contact with his soulmate. Giyuu wouldn't know how to handle the situation or even manage himself.

  "Well.. what now? Do I look for someone or do I just wait around?" Giyuu let his arm fall to his side, no longer paying attention to the string. He'll worry about the outcome afterwards.

Sanemi remained silent for a brief moment before responding, "Just continue on with your day. You'll notice the changes when they take place. Take care." And with that, Sanemi took off—leaving a confused Giyuu behind.

Giyuu sighed, looking at the clear blue skies with a small smile. It was a lovely summer afternoon, the sun's rays bouncing off his blue eyes as the breeze whisked through his raven hair. He couldn't allow a ridiculous myth take over his agenda; it would be a shame to let a beautiful day go to waste.

He jumped to his feet, noticing a small bakery at the end of the sidewalk. A variety of pastries could be seen through the thin glass windows, a fair amount of people enjoying themselves. Giyuu wasn't a fan of sweets but, for some odd reason, he couldn't resist the sight. He found himself walking through the door, the bell attached to it signaling the owner of his arrival.

Giyuu's eyes roamed the place; it was a nicely decorated place with plants adorning every corner, and the aroma was extremely pleasant. He made his way towards the line, distracting himself by scanning the area as he waited. Before he could step forward, a ball of yellow hair bolted towards him. Giyuu waited for an impact, yet it never came.

  "OH MY! I AM SO SORRY!"

  Giyuu cracked an eye open, meeting a pair of beautiful golden eyes. They faded into a deep shade of crimson—they were captivating. He was left awestruck by this man's beauty.

  "Oh!" The blonde gasped, finally realizing the position they were in. He was cradling the raven head, gaining the attention of the bakery's customers. They stared, a few confused by the sight while the other half adored the cute scenery.

  The chatter continued as the people returned to their conversations; a majority glancing over at Giyuu and the man holding him. Giyuu remained silent for a brief moment, taking in the blonde's features. Then he snapped back to reality.

  "I.. Um.." Giyuu stuttered, separating from the blonde's arms.  His cheeks flared with embarrassment, his appetite for sweets replaced with an uneasy wave of nausea. He hurried away, avoiding the stares he attracted. Well, it wasn't his fault in particular.

As he neared the exit, Giyuu glanced over his shoulder; catching the name of the blonde on the small rectangular tag on his shirt. Rengoku Kyojuro. A small smile appeared on his lips before finally leaving the bakery.

  Kyojuro stared at the man from afar, catching the raven head stumble on a rock. He felt his cheeks flare up, his lips cracking into a smile of his own. Before he knew it, he found himself giggling, staring at Giyuu awestruck. 

  "What are you staring at dork?" A gruff voice spoke, startling the blonde. Kyojuro turned around, his smile never leaving his face.

  "Ah, you just clocked in." He replied, "It's nothing Shinazugawa. Let's get to baking those cupcakes." Kyojuro patted his coworker's back and went for the kitchen, his mind still stuck on the raven head.

  Sanemi rose a brow, throwing a weird glance at Kyojuro before looking out the window where he was so focused on. He immediately regretted it.

  There in all his glory was Giyuu, the raven head taking his frustration out on the small piece of rock he nearly tripped over from. Sanemi began placing two-and-two together; he stepped closer to the window and squinted, trying to focus in on the red thread wrapped around Giyuu's finger.

  His heart shattered at the sight. The red thread had untied itself and Giyuu himself hadn't noticed. The broken thread signified that he already found his soulmate; and it wasn't him.

  Kyojuro Rengoku was the one destined for him and fate was bound to bring them together.