Chapter Five ~ Not A Crush

"Second day of high school. Yay." I mutter, entering the large building. LouLou's sick today so she won't be here. Even better. As I walk through the hallways I notice more people are looking at me. Some of them are even giggling. That's so weird. I just keep walking. As I enter my first class I notice people crowding around Clay's desk. Clearing my throat, I shove my way through the crowd. As I sit down Clay says, "Go away!" Mason scoffs and walks away, everyone following after him. "Mason keeps telling people we're dating. I'm sorry I dragged you into this." Clay looks at me, looking like a hurt puppy. "No! It's okay. It's not your fault." I smile. He half smiles back, turning his attention to the front of the classroom. My eyes linger on Clay for a moment before, I too, turn my attention to the front.

While class continues I keep feelings eyes on me. I'd look around the classroom and see random students staring at me. It's odd but I ignore it nonetheless. Continuing with class, everything else was normal. After what felt like hours, class is finally over. I stand up and grab my bag. Just as I'm about to leave the classroom, I get stopped by Mason. Rolling my eyes, I mutter, "What do you want?" "I just wanted to ask if you were planning on eating lunch with your boyfriend again?" He cackles. He looks very ugly when he laughs like that. "He's not my boyfriend, and you know that. Now can I please go to my next class?" I huff, trying to push past Masons dumbass.

I hear Ben come up behind me and he grabs my shoulders. "Now where do you think you're going?" He chuckles. I groan, rolling my eyes. "Guys, leave him alone." Clay huffs, standing up. Ben lets go and throws his hands up in defense. "We were just having a friendly conversation!" Mason pouts. "Yeah right. C'mon Oliver, I'll walk you to your next class." Clay grabs my arm and we walk out of the classroom. "You don't have to stick up for me all the time." Clay looks into my eyes. "What they do to you, it isn't right." I sigh. "Thank you, really, for helping me." I smile. Clay half smiles back, like always. "No problem, now let's go. We don't want to be late, do we?" We chuckle and I lead him to my next class.

By the time lunch rolls around I'm exhausted. I couldn't get to sleep last night so I was already tired. I head to the lunchroom and see Clay sitting by himself, which is odd. Maybe I should sit with him. I don't want him to be by himself all lunch and it's not like I have anyone to sit with. "Hey!" I smile, placing my backpack on the floor. "Hello!" Clay beams. "My friend just transferred here so he'll be sitting with us! His name is Tobi!" I nod, sitting down next to Clay. Hopefully he isn't like Clay's other 'friends'. I look up and see a dark skinned boy with brown shaggy hair walking towards our table. Maybe that's Tobi?

"Hey Clay. Who's this?" The boy asks, his voice deep. Wow. He has such a deep voice. It definitely doesn't match his appearance. "This is Oliver!" I smile and wave at him. Tobi smiles back and sits down across from Clay. "So what's this place like?" "It's okay." I answer honestly. It really isn't all that bad. Aside from first period I don't have any problems with any students, and all the teachers are nice, especially Ms. B. "Really? So I won't hate it?" Tobi chuckles. "Well I didn't say that-" Everyone laughs at that. Soon enough lunch is over and we go our separate ways.

RM picks me up from school again, like usual. They pull up in her bright blue convertible and I hop in. "I think I made two new friends?" RM looks over at me. "Congrats you're not a loser anymore." They chuckle. I mockingly gasp and hit her on the shoulder. As RM drives off I pull out my notebook and begin writing.

Today wasn't so bad. I mean apart from the cis-het boys harrasing me in first period-

I even made a new friend- I think? I'm not sure. Welp we're home so I guess I'll write more later.

I quickly shove the notebook back in my bag and get out of the car. "How was school?" Mom asks as soon as we open the door. "It was good. Oliver made a new friend." RM states, throwing me under the bus so she can go downstairs. "Really?! Sweetie, that's great! Tell me all about them!" Mom squeals and hugs me tightly, nearly squeezing me to death. "Can I go over to Alissa's?" RM interrupts, thank God. "Yeah sure! But take your sis- brother!" She corrects herself. I can feel myself smiling. "Okay. C'mon kid." They state, walking towards the door. My jaw drops. "I'm two years younger than you!" I screech, following her. We get into the car and head to Alissa's house, which conveniently isn't far from ours.