ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ💜

April wets her dry lips while they step into the principal's office. Her mind drifts back to the first time, she stepped her foot into the office. 

She had only seen professor Nsirim on a few occasions since then. The chilly atmosphere made her feel cold, she simply hugs herself to control it.

She watches Professor Nsirim asks Mrs Nnaji to have a seat. They both exchanged pleasantries before he replied to their greetings, she doesn't fail to notice the way, Prof Nsirim warmed up to Ibinabor.

"April Kuti!" Prof Nsirim calls out while he pulls his glasses down.

"Sir," April responds with fear in her eyes.

"I'm sure you have gone through the school's prospectus." He says while he looks up to her. "Or haven't you?" Prof Nsirim asks.

"I.. H.. Av.. I have sir!" April stutters.

"You know we don't condone stealing here!" Prof Nsirim says.

"Sir, I didn't steal her money..., "

"But it was found in your possession?" Ibinabor cuts her short.

"Ibinabor Anete! Don't talk until you are asked to, " Prof Nsirim gives Ibinanor a stern look.

"Sorry, sir!" Ibinabor responds in a soft tone. April throws a quick glance at her, the girl looked harmless and innocent, she wondered how such a person could be this cunning and heartless.

"April Kuti, it was found in your possession." Prof Nsirim says.

"Sir. I promise, I don't  know how that money got there, I would never steal, why will I steal your money?" April says turning to Ibinabor.

"Why do people steal? Even though you are from an extremely poor family, that doesn't mean you should steal, you could have at least asked. Honestly, I am not that heartless, not to help the needy." Ibinabor says facing April, who was short of words.

"Oreoluwa William's!" Prof Nsirim calls out.

"Sir, I saw her take the money!" Oreoluwa replies almost immediately. "Senior, why are you lying?" The Junoir girl asks, making April more furious, if not they were in the principal's office, she knew she would have given her a dirty slap.

"April, I really want to believe there is a mixup somewhere, but the money was found in your possession and there is also an eye witness, this makes you the culprit." Prof Nsirim says.

"Sir. I would never steal, why will I steal her money.., "

"Yes. You might not want to but the condition you find yourself in might push you, firstly you are here on scholarship, I also heard your mum is trying hard to make earns meet. I mean she sells pepper and tomatoes in a local market. You really need money, but your parents can't afford it, that's enough reason for you to steal it. Even though you don't want to. I feel your pains, but that doesn't mean you should steal." Ibinabor says with a concerned look on her face, April didn't miss the mockery in her voice, although she sounded genuine.

"Sir. I promise, I didn't steal the money, " April says ignoring Ibinabor. "Why are you lying?" She faces the Junoir girl, obviously, trying to hold back tears. "Ibinabor, you know deep down I didn't steal your money, you both know how that money got into my bag. But God will judge you both!" April says shedding tears.

"And she is accusing me! Also shedding crocodile tears. Girl stop this acting. Everyone knows you did it, just admit it!" Ibinabor says.

"Ibinabor, let the principal talk, " Mrs Nnaji says.