Shattered Promises

A N G S T 💧

Tw: very sad I don't wanna spoil the chapter, but if you're susceptible to sad things, maybe skip this chapter. There will be a lil summary at the end for those people.
-------------
Xiao Pov
-------------

My breath catches in my throat as Scaramouche's condition sinks in.

He...

He wants to separate me from Aether.

He wants me to leave him.

"I'm not leaving Aether!" I shout at the harbinger.

He gives a cold grin.

"Then I guess this world will be collapsed, with you two in it. And that means you'll cease to exist. Be honest with yourself, wouldn't you rather live knowing Aether's alive and safe but not be with him than having him cease to exist altogether? Either way you choose, you'll never see him again." Scaramouche says.

I grit my teeth, trying to quell my anger.

That may be what he thinks, but there's no way that I can't change it.

I will stay by Aether's side forever.

Aether glances at me, fear shining in his eyes, which angers me further.

I guess I'll just have to take out the harbinger. I've gotten my power back, after all.

I summon my polearm and move at the speed of light towards Scaramouche. Anemo energy swirls around me, preparing to strike the boy in front of me.

His indigo eyes narrow and electricity surrounds him as he vanishes and appears a little way behind where he was originally standing, making me take another, more wobbly step forward.

I take his cool down as an opportunity and thrust my polearm through his heart.

Instead of his eyes filling with fear of death and defeat, he smiles in an almost satisfied way.

"Well, my dear Yaksha, that would have worked if I had a heart." Scaramouche says, as if I was an ignorant child who needs to be taught.

A sudden pain shoots through my stomach, but I'm still focused on the harbinger.

No heart?

Ei did not give him a heart?

My attention is snapped away from Scaramouche the moment Aether begins to scream.

Why is he screaming?

My arms involuntarily drop away from my polearm as I realize I can't feel them.

Wetness spreads through my stomach. Dark red wetness.

Oh. That's why he's screaming.

I'd been impaled by Scaramouche's electricity.

He smiles and teleports away, leaving me to fall to the ground, barely able to breathe.

Is this it?

Am I really dying this time?

Aether runs over to me as I lie on the ground, trying to breathe.

He leans over me, tears streaming from his golden eyes.

He cups his shaking hands around my face.

"X-xiao! Hold on! Please hold on. I'll help you." Aether says through sobs.

I reach my hand slowly up to face and stroke his soft cheek.

I smile.

"Even when you're crying...y-you're beautiful too... Don't cry, love." I say with shaky, pained breaths.