epilogue

10 years later

Humanity is small now. Much smaller than it was ten years ago. The disease has been eradicated but the survivors are traumatized. As for the children, we're glad they won't have to face the horrors we did. Ray and Mary have a boy of their own named Michael. He grew up with Diesel but eventually his time came. They joined another group of survivors whom they are living with to this day. Of course Harvey was never forgotten but life had to move on. He was buried in the yard beside Charley and Piper.

Unfortunately a cure never was found. Mila never had the chance to be saved. They also found after studies, that those with dog allergies were immune to the virus, which is how Ray and Mary survived so long. 

The cities which had been dominated by humans in the last centuries were now returned to nature. With less people the world was also subjected to less pollution, allowing it to heal. The human population is estimated to be no more than 10,000 across the entire world, most of it from remote islands that had been untouched.

And that is how the world has become its current state. It all started from the Cazex, and it ended with it too. It seemed as if Harvey's death had cut off the virus's spread. They never looked into it though, Ray didn't have the heart to think he could have been the cause of something so horrible.

This is the conclusion to Harveys story, but perhaps the start to another...