Chapter Twenty-Three (King)

I expected my father to do something when he thought his power and control were in jeopardy. I expected it to be something underhanded and dangerous for everyone else's health. It was only a matter of time before he realized my mother was gone. And even though he didn't love her, I knew my father. The control he had over her for so many years was now in trouble, and he would do everything he can to get that back.

But that would happen over my dead body.

So, when the attack came in the middle of the night, I couldn't say I was surprised by it. I grabbed the gun from where I had it hidden under the bed, reached back for Runn, and climbed off the bed.

The loud bangs of gunshot echoed through the night as Tao and the others picked up the fight. I left the room with Runn, crashing into Captain and Nine heading toward our bedroom. I pushed them into a nearby room.

"You two stay here." I told them. "I have to help the others."

"We can help." Captain and Runn chorused.

"Not now." I shook my head.

"At least let me help." Nine pushed. "You three can't fight off all these guys alone—we don't even know how many there are."

"I don't need you running around with a gun you don't know how to use either, Nine." I told him. "Tao and I need to make sure you guys are safe."

"But I'm not—" Nine started.

"That includes you too, Nine." I glanced over my shoulder to make sure we were still alone.

"But—" Runn began.

I kissed Runn's words into my mouth, shoved him backward and pulled the door in after me. When I clicked, I pushed down on the knob with all my weight, breaking it off so the door was stuck in the lock position.

Darting through the house, I found Tao.

"They're your father's men." Tao explained.

I yanked him out of the way of an incoming bullet then returned fire, catching the man in the chest. The force of the bullet threw him off his feet and into a nearby wall.

"I knew that." I muttered.

The gun battle carried on for a few more minutes and when silence came, three of my father's men laid dead—one was dying and two escaped.

When the smoke cleared, San was grazed by a bullet. Nine agreed to help him get it cleaned up while Tao and I focused on the dead bodies in the yard. We piled them in the trunk, drove them to my father's place and dropped them on his doorsteps.

He sent those men to their deaths, he could damn well fix the mess they made.

I knew he was home—but he didn't come out. That was the kind of coward he was—but I didn't have time to deal with him. It wasn't his turn as yet.

Tao and I returned to where we were staying to check on the others. Captain ran out of the house and dove into Tao's arms. I could tell Runn wanted to do the same, but he laced his fingers and pressed tightly.

Smiling, I pulled him into my chest, kissing the side of his head.

"Um—San is okay." Nine spoke up, then turned and headed back into the house.

We sat around to eat something, and I told them what I had in mind for my father. Runn had an idea which I liked—we would send my mother off to Dubai to stay with his mother. Though when we called Runn's mother, we had to explain what was happening, it was something that needed to be done.

His mother didn't even second guess—she immediately agreed and began putting things together to meet up with my mother.

When I told my mother—she didn't fight it. She packed her bag, and Nine, along with San drove her to the airport and ensured she got on her flight.