chapter 3

I walked to the kitchen to see Riley and his mom speeding to get the house cleaned.
    "What's going on?"
    Rileys mom answered, "The Nelson's and Springs are coming over for dinner,"
    I grinned at the thought of seeing Nick again. "Alright, what time?"
    "Um, thirty minutes,"
    I went up the stairs and quickly got dressed. Then I went to the bathroom and made sure my hair and face looked okay.
    As promised, thirty minutes later there was a knock on the door.
   "I'll get it," I called out to Rileys mom who was cooking. I opened the door to see Charlie and his family.
    "Hello Y/n," Charlie said.
    "Hello Charlie, Charlie's family," I nodded to them and opened the door. Footsteps ran down the stairs and Riley practically jumped into Charlie's arms. I laughed and Riley stuck his tongue out at me.
    I looked out the door before I closed it and saw Nick and his mom walking up. I waved to them and opened the door again.
    "Hello," I greeted as Nick got closer.
    He smiled, "Hello y/n,"
    "Hello dear, you must be the Y/n I've heard about," His mom said, shaking my hand as Nick turned beat red.
    I laughed, "All good things I hope,"
    "The way Nicky describes you, there's nothing bad to tell,"
    Heat creeped up my neck as I closed the door. I tuned into Nick and Rileys conversation.
    "So, Riley, I want to meet your cat. Apparently he's mean,"
    My eyes widened and fear coursed through my body.
    Rileys eyebrows furrowed, "We don't… have a cat…"
   Confusion flooded in Nick's face, "Oh, but I thou-" A look of realization came across Nick's face and he looked at me in slight shock. I averted my eyes to the ground. "Nevermind."
    "Oh you guys are here, finally. I just finished the food. C'mon, to the table,"
    Everyone walked to the dining room but Nick and I stayed, standing silently. He opened his mouth but Rileys mom called to us. I quickly walked to the table and sat down. The only empty seat for Nick was right next to me and I silently groaned.
    About thirty minutes later everyone was engaged in their own conversation. Nick leaned over.
    "I'm not gonna ask you why. I'm not going to make you show me. Just know that I'm here for you. You're my best friend and I love you. If you ever want to talk, I'm here. You can confide in me," He whispered and put his hand on my knee. Tears filled my eyes, and I blinked quickly to get them away.
    I grabbed his hand and squeezed three times.
    A silent I love you.

5/14/22