chapter 17

My cold thankfully only lasted a day so two days later I was once again sitting at lunch with Tao. I kept a close on him to make sure he didn't die. The usual.

    Nick was still out unfortunately so I just sat there texting him as Riley sat down in front of Tao, right next to me.

    "Where's Charlie?" Tao asked.

    "Well I thought he'd be here with you," Riley said and I furrowed my brows, looking up from my phone.

    "I thought he was eating with you," Tao told him and I wondered if Charlie was eating with anyone, or just eating period.

    "Charlie avoiding you too?" Riley asked.

    "I'm avoiding him," I looked back and forth as they talked.

    "Why?"

    "Because I'm  pissed off with him,"

    "Oh,"

    "Charlie's my friend. I was so worried about him joining the rugby team and becoming friends with you. Because I knew that he'd get picked on by some of the idiots in your year. And guess what? He did." Riley lowered his head. "I'm done trying to protect him when he's forgotten I exist, like, I deserve to be appreciated," he paused. "If he'd just told me that you two were going out, like, maybe I would've done things differently. Maybe I would've stayed more lowkey and Harry would have left us alone,"

    Riley look backed up, "I think Charlie might be nervous about telling you because, he really cares about your opinion. Because he loves you, a lot,"

    "Yeah," Tao mumbled, "well, I'll believe that when I actually see it," Tao furrowed his eyebrows, "Why is he avoiding you?" He questioned and Riley sucked in a breath.

    "I don't know," Riley confessed.

    "I can take a guess?" I finally spoke up and the pair look at me.

    "Be my guest,"

    "Well, Charlie has a tendency of believing he doesn't do anyone any good, and that just by being in their lives, it makes it harder for them to function," I began, "I believe that he was doing a fine job at ignoring the part of him that was telling him that, however then Riley came to school with a black eye, and Tao got into a fight with Harry. I think he thinks that those fights were his fault, therefore it's his fault you guys got hurt, therefore he made your lives harder by simply being in them," the two stared at me in shock.

    "How did you- how do you know that?" Tao asked  in shock.

    I shrugged, "I may be a dumb American but I pay attention my dear Brits, I know lots of things. Like how Tao pretends he hates rugby and doesnt know the rules, but hes actually whispering plays to himself and giving proper reactions to whats happening. And how you, Riley, say you suck at math to humble people when really you have the highest math grade in our year. I see things. I hear things. I know things,"

    "You scare me," Tao commented and Riley nodded in agreement.

    "I should,"

    Tao sighed as he looked back to Riley, "You should talk to him,"

    "Yeah, so should you,"

    "No," Tao immediately replied, "I'm gonna stayed pissed at him for a bit longer,"

    Riley smiled, "You should try rugby," I snorted at the thought, "it's good for releasing negative emotions,"

    Tao just raised his eyebrows and gave Riley an unimpressed look as Riley took a sip of his drink with a smile on his face. I went back to texting Nick as we sat in a comfortable silence the rest of lunch.

    Later that night there was a knock on my door. I put a finger up, telling Nick - who was finally feeling better - that I would be a sec and got up from my bed.

    I opened my door to see Riley who looked a bit down, "Hey, what's up?" I asked as I motioned him into my room. He sat on my bed and waved to Nick.

    "Nothing, just don't want to be alone right now. What are you doing?"

    "Just facetiming Nick and telling him about my day as he's doing his homework. He's finally feeling better so he can play tomorrow at sports day,"

    "Oh nice,"

    I nodded, "Are you okay? Do you need me to hang up with Nick?"

    "No and no. Just Charlie, I tried talking to him like Tao suggested, but he left me on seen," he said pulling out his phone and showing me the text. Sure enough underneath was seen 6min ago.

    "Oh I'm sorry Riley, maybe you can talk to him tomorrow in person?" I suggested and he nodded with a sigh. "You can stay in here and talk with Nick and I of you'd like? We can play MarioCart?" I asked with a smile.

    He smiled back, "I'd like that,"