Chapter 02 - Final Preparations

Illustration credit goes to Henrique-San
https://www.instagram.com/htlegion_draws

ARTHUR LEYWIN

“Arthur, this artifact that you've created, is it really going to help us... to travel back in time?” Caera asked, looking doubtfully at the runic metallic ring on her index finger.

“As I've told you before, we're not actually traveling back in time, but rather our soul and essence assimilating with our past selves of a different timeline.” I let out a weary sigh. After dedicating an entire day to Regis and Caera, explaining to them the laws behind the spell and the consequences of the ritual, this was the final result. Now, I'm really anxious about our future.

‘That's cauz your lectures are pretty boring, Professor Princess. Wake me up when you're done with the engagement-ring-thingy.’ Regis quipped, letting out an exaggerated yawn.

“Yes, 'Professor Grey'. I understand your theory... at least somewhat, but you still haven't told us what the ring actually does.” Knowing it was probably going to take a while, I looked at Sylvie. Fortunately, she understood my intentions and turned to Caera.

“Caera, please show me your index finger.”

“Huh?” Caera looked at her, confused, but nevertheless followed as instructed. Sylvie took a quick poke at her index finger, just enough for a droplet of blood to form on the tip. The ring absorbed the blood immediately.

“The artifact is now bound to you. So, only you can wear it. Try imbueing some mana into it.” Caera nodded, channeling her mana into the ring, followed by a surprised gasp as the ring vanished from her finger.

“Good! Now pay attention. The ring serves as an all-purpose artifact. It acts as a dimension ring, to hide runes and change appearance—so, you won't require that pendant anymore. It also acts as a communication device or to sense each other's mana and aether signatures, but only in close proximity. Furthermore, since the ring is now bound to you, it stores your memories too, in case you lost them during the ‘time-travel’ as you put it.” Caera's ruby eyes sparkled with a newfound curiosity as she observed her index finger where the ring was supposed to be, deeply impressed with the artifact's capabilities.

“Arthur, you know what? After scythe Seris told me your secret, I thought nothing else could surprise me in the future. I take my words back, you're still the same mysterious handsome onion.”

“As long as you know,” I chuckled, giving her a wink before I returned back to Sylvie, who stood near the third altar where I had placed Agrona's remains.

“Now that everyone's here, what else did you guys ‘borrow’ from the dungeon's treasure vault?” I asked with a mischievous grin, eagerly waiting to look at the treasure my companions ‘took’ from Agrona and the Scythe's private chamber.

Sylvie was definitely excited to show us her loot first. She stepped back, taking some distance between us, and she took out... a massive bed?

“A bed, Sylv? It's way too big for a single person. Do you really need this? It won't fit inside our room neither at Helsteas' nor in Elenoir.” Sylvie felt dejected at my disapproval. Without any valid reasons to convince me, she finally decided to use her ‘secret-weapon’. She looked at me with pleading eyes...

Damnit! Now I understand how mom and dad used to feel.

“It's so soft and comfortable, and we have plenty of space inside our quarters at the Floating-Castle. You, Regis and I can all sleep together, please!” I let out another sigh. Maybe she's right after all. During my stay at the Floating-Castle, I had realised that the beds for the lances were not that comfortable compared to other council members.