Chapter 08 - Embracing Diversity

ARTHUR LEYWIN

Following my brief introduction to the family heads of every noble house, each of them talked for hours about a variety of issues, ranging from day-to-day concerns of the people living in Eidelholm and Asyphin to newly implemented administrative policies in Zestier by King Alduin to prepare the citizens for the continent's future unification.

During the discussion, I remained silent for the most part, adding a few points here and there as needed, otherwise observing their behaviour and motives for taking opinions from a six-year-old child sitting alone among the group of crafty, old foxes.

Elven tradition had me seated next to Gramps as the 'Guest of honour,' as they prefer to call it. Lady Aurras sat with Aya on my right, and the remaining two members of the House of Grephin stood behind them. Lady Saria and her mother, Elder Saeya, one of the few remaining elders from Virion and Rinia's generation, followed after her. Rinia, as usual, was absent from today's meeting, prompting a few nobles, including Feyrith's father, Ivsaar the Second, to mutter a few disparaging remarks in response. Albrave Chaffer sat across from me while Albold and his brother stood behind him. Meanwhile, Alea, the last surviving noble of the House Triscan, sat at the opposite end of the round table, directly across from King Alduin and Queen Merial in the center.

The majority of the discussion went smoothly, but the lighthearted atmosphere inside the meeting hall was soon replaced with deafening silence as each of them read the latest report from the border-patrol team, their eyes widening in surprise, while some even looked at me suspiciously.

Feyrith's father slammed the reports on the table we were currently sitting around, breaking the long silence. “What is the meaning of this, Albrave? The border patrol team apprehended more than twenty hum—slave traders, and you're telling us about it right now?”

“Shut your trap, Fey. I had already informed his Majesty the very same day we caught these men wandering through our forests. As to the reason we kept this a secret...” Albrave snapped in annoyance, his gaze flickering back and forth between me and Grandpa Virion.

“Go ahead, you have my permission.” Virion nodded, motioning him to continue. “Yes, Elder Virion. The reason we kept this intel a secret is that when my authorities interrogated the slave traders about the cause of their injuries, most of them admitted to seeing a human boy with pearl-white hair and lavender eyes before falling unconscious. It's also one of the few reasons why I wanted to meet this child today. Seeing him up close, I must admit, he's more intimidating than the rumors.” The burly elf gave me a smirk while the rest of the council looked at me with curiosity and even fear.

Feyrith's father scowled at me, his face flushed with embarrassment. He cleared his throat, taking advantage of the brief pause to draw everyone's attention to himself. “I understand why you kept this information hidden, Elder Virion, but it still doesn't explain the true motivations of this child. I'm grateful that his actions have saved the lives of many elves from getting destroyed at the hands of those human scum, but this doesn't justify his ruthless actions. He could have killed those slave traders, but instead he left them to suffer after torturing them. This is not how a normal six-year-old child should act. I hereby demand an answer from the boy!”

This caused quite a stir as the crowd of elves started chattering among themselves. King Alduin slammed his fist on the table, silencing everyone present inside the room. “We shouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly, and while Arthur's assault on slave traders can be considered... harsh, I believe we should hear his thoughts too regarding this matter.”

“Thank you, your Majesty.” I stood up and gave him a small bow while holding everyone's attention inside the meeting hall. “I'll admit, what I did to those bandits was in no way tolerable by any means, but this doesn't mean my actions aren't justified.” I raised my hand, taking out the pile of evidence from my dimension ring as I passed one copy to each of the representatives.