Let Flesh Submit Itself To Gravity

Gerard had been ill for all of his life. It started when he was very young, though nobody could recall exactly when. As Gerard grew older, they found themself spending more time in the hospital than at school.

Because of this, he had always found it very difficult to make friends. Even now, their only friend was his family and their boyfriend.

Try as they might, no doctor could figure out what was afflicting Gerard. They were scared to try medicines in case they ended up being the wrong ones, but they needed to prescribe something or Gerard might not make it to 25 years old.

Gerard had had countless operations, but unfortunately none of them had managed to treat his illness. Eventually, they had accepted that nothing would help if he didn't know what was wrong with them.

So Gerard decided to compile a scrapbook of the few moments where they felt well enough to enjoy himself. He got pictures and letters and train tickets and postcards and stuck them on the pages. They got a box and wrote something on a single piece of paper, before carefully folding it and closing it in the box. Gerard's boyfriend was instructed to never open the box unless something happened to them and he didnt make it.

And that day had finally come. Frank walked into the room where Gerard had spent so much time and stood in the middle of it.

He looked at the carefully made bed, a telltale sign that Gerard was the last one to sleep in it.

He looked at the desk with candles and wax melts placed in neat groups littering the top of it, a telltale sign that Frank had resided there as well.

He walked to the closet, various band t-shirts hanging, Gerard's clothes having been mixed with Frank's for so long that niether knew which tops had originally been theirs and which hadn't.

He spotted a hat box on the floor of the closet, and vaguely remembered Gerard's intructions from months ago now.

Opening the box slowly, Frank could feel his eyes welling with tears and blurring his vision. He took the paper out of the box and blinked a few times so he could see. The message on the paper was nothing complex, nothing long, but Frank knew immediately that it was Gerard who had written the note.

The only thing written on the paper was "your mum".