Lucy and Chris

#104daysofsummervacation
#104daysofchenford
#Day11

She knew she should be focused on what Chris was saying but she was distracted. She had kissed Tim twice in the past week and trying NOT to think about it only made her think about it more. Even worse, she found herself caught in a quandary, comparing poor Chris to Tim. There was no comparison. Kissing Tim was turning into one of the worst decisions she'd ever made.
But...Chris was not the greatest conversationalist. Contrary to popular belief, hearing someone blabber on about cases was not the most intriguing expense of time.

"...to me?"
She looked up from the rim of her coffee cup that she was tracing. "Huh? Oh! I'm-I'm not, I'm so sorry. Okay. What were you saying?"

He sighed. "Lucy. It's not just today either. You've been distracted for the past few days. Was it something I said? Or is there something else going on?"

She looked back down at the swirl of cream and caffeine in the porcelain mug on her table.
"You know you can tell me, right? At least give me the chance to help you."
She placed her hands down firmly on either side of her mug. "I honestly don't think you can. And I- I'm not sure you'd understand. Or-or that you'd take it that well either."

"Tell you what. I'll let you explain everything. I won't say a word. Just get it out and we can figure it all out after."

"Lucy, it's okay," he said after she hesitated.

Inhaling deeply, she launched into a rapid retelling of what had happened: "Tim and I met our doppelgangers, Jake and Jucy. They're criminals, but that's beside the point. Now they're both in custody and the opportunity was too good not to pass up. So Tim and I went undercover as them, but Jake and Jucy were-um-a couple, so..."

He put up his hand. "I know I promised to keep my mouth shut. But I'm guessing what you're going to say is, because you're going UC as a couple, and the cover is important to maintain in all aspects, you guys kissed."
She bit her lip and averted her gaze. "Maybe..."
"Lucy, listen. It's okay. I know it's part of the job description, okay?"
She nodded dully.

"That's not all though, is it?" He sighed at her lack of response. "Did it confuse you? Kissing him?...and now you're wondering whether or not you have feelings for Tim."

"WHAT! No-I-NO! That's ridiculous."
"Lucy..."
"NO! Okay? Has it been on my mind? Yes. Have I been guilty about comparing the two of you? Absolutely. But-" she stopped dead mid-sentence at the realization of her confession.
Her face grew enflamed and her gaze dropped again to the now-cold cup of coffee.

He sighed, for likely the tenth time during their discussion. "I should have known something like this would happen."
"Chris, I-"
"Lucy, I won't say that I'm not disappointed or even upset."
"Can't say I blame you."
"But don't beat yourself up."
"Okay."

"...so...what does this mean? For us?"
"For us? I don't think there can be an us right now, Lucy."
"But I-"
"I can't be in a relationship with a woman who's only in halfway. And I don't want you to make a decision you'll regret all so you don't hurt me."

"I'm really sorry, Chris."
He laughed bitterly. "Don't worry, I don't doubt that. But I should've known from the beginning that I didn't stand a chance."

Standing, he pressed a kiss to her forehead and was out the door.

She dumped her coffee down the drain and ran into her room so she could scream into her pillow. She was reminded of her first day on the job: Tim Bradford would be the death of her.