Chapter 4: The First Missions

I stood next to Cuttlefish Cabin waiting for Agent 4 to arrive. I thought about what to do with him. He had clearly improved during his first match. However he still didn't have any experience in the field. I thought about throwing him into battle, but he needed more prep time. I don't remember Agent 3 ever needing this much training. We couldn't wait forever though. Sooner or later we would have to take the initiative. I heard someone come out of the pipes. It was Agent 4.

"I'm here!" he said gasping.

"I hope you're ready. It's time for your first mission." I replied.

Agent 4 seemed to have an anxiety attack. "What? I'm not ready though what about-"

"You are ready." I declared. "If it makes you feel better, I'll keep an eye on you through your body cam. Now go! Find the entrances!" I pointed towards the bridge.

Agent 4 went past the small bridge and began searching for the entrances to the Octarian bases. Meanwhile I was sitting on the couch and set up my laptop. I then connected with Agent 4's body camera as he entered one of the bases. A few moments later, he emerged in a massive underground cavern. Agent 4 was standing on what looked to be the roof of a large building. Far below him was a city.

I spoke to him through his headpiece. "Alright Agent 4. Your mission is very simple. Navigate through the rooftops until you find the zapfish in the area. It should be a yellow catfish inside a giant lightbulb. You'll know it when you see it."

Without a word, Agent 4 started to move. I muted myself from my call with Agent 4 and called another friend of mine. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get him involved but I needed whatever help I could get. Plus, he already knows about the Squidbeak Splatoon.

A small voice speaking unreasonably quickly answered. "Hello! Thank you for calling Ammo Knights. The finest weapon shop in Inkopolis Square. Anything you need involving weapons, we can provide them here. This is Sheldon how may I help you?"

"Sheldon! This is Marie! I need to talk with you." I replied.

"Marie! I haven't spoken with you in a while. Good to hear from you." Sheldon replied.

"I could use some help with Octarians. Callie is missing." I explained.

"I saw the news. Say no more, I've got something you'll find really useful. I'll see you at Cuttlefish Cabin as soon as possible to deliver it." Sheldon said. He hung up the phone before I could say anything.

I took a quick peek at Agent 4's body camera and saw he was splatting octotroopers. Yesterday he was barely able to hit the targets. Today his skills have clearly improved. Agent 4 is a quick learner. Maybe this plan could work out after all. He grabbed the first zapfish and was warped back into Tentakeel Outpost. I watched through his camera as he started looking for another Octarian base with newfound confidence. He found another one and entered. While I watched him, I picked up a notebook and started to write notes hoping to profile Agent 4.

Agent 4 seems to have a lot of anxiety and a lack of confidence when it comes to his own abilities. On the surface, he truly is the most incompetent agent we've ever recruited. However, I have noticed a massive improvement in his performance after his first turf war. He has yet to fail nor prove himself.

I put down the notebook. Agent 4 has already proven himself capable with the heroshot but what about other weapon classes? I wonder what his favorite weapon class would be. Maybe I could ask Sheldon to let him borrow some weapons for our next turf war practice match. Nah that would be too risky.

Agent 4 had emerged from the first base with newfound confidence. It would seem he was able to complete his first mission. "You're doing great Agent 4! On to the next one!" I called to him. Without a word, Agent 4 started looking around for another base. Eventually finding one and jumping in.