Educational Decrees

I had taken along my bag with me as we left the Gryffindor Common Room. Harry and I made our first stop to the Owlery, and wrote a letter to Sirius. I waxed the back of the folded letter and sent it off with Arwen. It was still light and we didn't want to go back yet, so even though we knew he wasn't home, we decided to walk to Hagrid's

Dear Padfoot,

We hope you're all right. It's starting to get colder here. Winter is definitely on the way. In spite of being back at Hogwarts, Olivia and I, feel more alone than ever. We know you, of all people, will understand.

We have a new Defense Against The Dark Arts Teacher, she is a dreadful woman. The ministry's interfering at Hogwarts, and I fear that we won't be able to pass our OWL's at the end of the year. Harry and I miss you terribly.

Sincerely, Liv and Harry

As we made our way down to Hagrid's hut, a sort of howling/moaning sound caught or attention. Harry and I looked into the sky to see the black winged creature flying high above us. Landing down in the forest, only a short walk from Hagrid's. We both looked at each other and our curiosity got the best of us. I supposed it was better than just sitting in Hagrid's empty house. So, we trucked through the woods in search of the creature, following the sounds of their cries. We came across an opening in the forest that had a small pond and had a dozen or so of the horse like creatures. But there was also a person, Luna Lovegood, standing off in the distance petting one.

    "Hello, Luna." I greeted her quietly as we approached.

    "Hello, Olivia Potter, Harry Potter." She said without turning around. The skeleton like horse lifted it's head away from Luna and she turned to smile at the both of us.

    "Your feet. Aren't they cold?" Harry asked softly. I looked down to see he was right, Luna indeed, had no shoes on.

    "A bit." She nodded. "Unfortunately, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared. I suspect Nargles are behind it."

    "Oh. Um, Luna what are they?" I asked diverting the conversation. One let out a loud sort of cry as it flapped open it's wings.

    "There called Thestrals." Luna explained gladly. "They're quite gentle, really. People avoid them because they're a bit..."

    "Different." Harry and I said in unison.

A baby thestral walked over towards us cautiously. Letting out a small whinny like cry of it's own. I aww'd and Luna took my wrist leading us closer to it.

    "But why can't the others see them?" Harry asked curiously.

    "They can only be seen by people who've seen death."

    "So, you've known someone who's died, then?" I asked gently.

    "My Mum." Luna nodded. "She was quite the extraordinary witch, but she did like to experiment, and one day, one of her spells went badly wrong. I was nine."

    "I'm sorry."

    "I'm so sorry, Luna."

    "Yes, it was rather horrible. And I do feel very sad about it sometimes. But I've got Dad." She began digging around in her bag. "We both believe you two by the way. That he-who-must-not-be-named is back and you fought him, and the Minister and the Prophet are conspiring against you both and Dumbledore."

    "Seems that your about the only ones that do." Harry said glumly.

    "I don't think that's true." Luna replied as she tossed an apple over towards the baby thestral. He sniffed it and cried at it, like he didn't want it. "But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel."