CHAPTER FOUR - BEAU

In denial is one way to describe Sienna, but at what point do you draw the line and stop living off the hope that one day she will wake up and realise it's me she needs and wants?

This situation we've found ourselves in is how my life has played out for over a decade. She wants me. She can't handle me. She needs me. She's running away.

"Please, can you come with me to see my apartment today?" she asks, slipping her feet inside her trainers.

Those damn shoes need to be thrown in the bin. I bought her brand new ones a couple of months ago that she lost in the fire, and she's too damn proud to let me take her shopping for some new clothes.

"Beau?" she asks, narrowing her eyes. "And stop judging my shoes."

I shake my head. "Of course, I'll come with you. And I'm not judging. Only wishing you would let me take you to the shopping centre."

As she stands up, she huffs with her fisted hands against her hips. "I got just what I needed from the charity shop. These are Levi jeans. They're usually a lot of money, but I got them for three quid! And my jacket is North Face. Ten pounds, Beau. Ten. Pounds."

Point proven. I nod because I don't plan on embarrassing her for what she doesn't have. That never was nor will ever be my intention.

"Okay. I'll shut up."

Relaxing a bit, she's smiling again. "Do you fancy going to the cinema tonight? My treat. It's payday."

Fuck.

That sounds perfect, but I promised Carly I would show her around my hometown a bit before she has to return to New York. I'm unsure what's going on with her, but she's a sweet girl, and I enjoy spending time with her.

It's nothing like what I feel for Sienna, but she's made it clear over the years that she wants us to be strictly platonic. 

"I can't tonight. Rain check?" I ask, grabbing my keys from the drawers near the door.

She rushes to follow me. "Oh, sure."

We pile out of the house, making our way towards my car. Sienna jumps inside while I check the mailbox, leafing through the small amount of post I received before chucking the letters in my boot and joining Sienna in the car.

I look over at her concentrated face studying her phone. "What are you doing?"

She glances up. "Asking if there's any overtime tonight."

I can feel my frown is too harsh, but I don't make any attempts to soften it. "Just because I can't do something with you, you're asking to work?"

Aside from the three days her boss made her take after the fire, the girl hasn't had a proper day off in weeks. She uses work to escape many things in life, but never has she used it to escape me and her disappearance at the family barbecue, and this reinforces it.