Run!

I jerk my head up and look around for movement. I don't see anything but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. Wolves. Dogs. Monsters. I'm not sure what you would call them. Before the war, before the nukes, dogs used to sit by man's side, protecting them. After the war, when humans left the planet, dogs were left behind. They bred in with the wild wolf populations and both were changed.

      The nuclear fallout changed something in both species, added things, took things away, and now it's hard to imagine anyone wanting those things sleeping at the foot of their bed. I guess they forgot what it was like to live with humans. Now they just hunt us down, kill us, and eat us. I'm not exactly sure why they give off a rotten odor, maybe from the things they eat? But if you smell it, you can bet there is at least one, nearby. It's a good thing you can smell them before you see them because those suckers can move fast. And if they bite you, well... even just a bite from one of those things can be deadly. I've seen many a neighbor die from infection from a wolf-dog bite. The bite turns green, fills with pus, and then turns black. Of course, I have seen many people survive a wolf-dog bite as well. Surviving the bite still leaves you with a nasty dead looking patch of skin.

      I am not about to gamble with my life, so I decide the best thing for me to do is to leave. I get up slowly, all the while scanning the woods around me. I sniff the air and catch the rotten scent. So, there's at least one of them, nearby, probably more. I need to move quickly before they box me in. If they manage to surround me, I'm dead. Climbing trees is out, because any branch low enough for me is low enough for them. The first time I saw one climb I had nightmares for an entire year. I start walking in the direction of the town, and my house. But I walk slowly and take deep breaths pushing down the panic that is attempting to take over my mind and body. Panic is not my friend in this situation. If I run, I will bring them down on me for sure. These wolfdogs have a very high prey drive. I saw that for myself, last year.

        I walk quickly toward my house, feeling eyes watching me as I go. They are toying with me. I can feel it. I feel a prickly feeling running through my body and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. The smell of rotting meat grows stronger, and I have to hold my breath for long periods of time to prevent myself from throwing up. I can see our small town, ahead of me, when it happens. I'm not sure how I know, but suddenly the urge to run is too strong to ignore. I risk a quick look behind me and see something yellowish with sharp teeth running in my direction. They must have decided they were done toying with me. The sight of it running for me is all I need to allow my panic to take over.

       I turn back around and take off full speed into town. The wolfdogs have dropped all attempts at hiding and now I can hear them snarling, behind me. I run down the main dirt road, passing by house after house. As I approach houses, people catch sight of my predicament and disappear into their own homes. No one is willing to risk their lives for anyone else. When it comes to the wolfdogs, it's every man or woman for themself. Come on, just a little bit further.

       I can feel the hot breath of my pursuers on the back of my leg. I zoom past several more houses and turn onto my street. I don't have much further to go. I'm gasping for air and my chest feels like it's on fire. I don't know if I am going to make it! I can feel my body start to slow down from exhaustion. Oh, No! Not now! Please, not now! And that's when I hear it, the clacking of teeth as one of them snaps, just missing my legs. That's all I need for an extra burst of energy. I run a little faster, despite the stabbing pain in my side. There it is! Safety! My house! I'm almost home!

       I see the front door of the house opening and my brother Wolfe stepping outside. He looks my way, a surprised look crosses his face, and then he quickly disappears back into the house. I am just a few feet from the front door when I feel hot breath on the back of my leg, again. I'm not going to make it! That's when my brother shows back up at the door, a frozen turkey in his hands. He heaves it behind me, I blow past him, and he slams the door shut.

      I stop at the doorframe of the living room, bent over, gasping, struggling to breathe. After a few minutes, my breathing slows, and I straighten up. I look over to find my brother staring at me with his arms folded across his chest and a frown on his face. "Thanks for the save," I say.

      "That has to be the single most idiotic thing you have ever done in your entire life!" Wolfe shouts.

      "You don't even know what I was doing," I say, defensively.

      "Were you outside of town?"

       "Yes, but..."

     "Were you alone?"

     "Yes, but.."

       "Then I repeat my statement. That has to be the single most idiotic thing you have ever done in your entire life!" His voice raises with every word until I am sure the neighbors can hear him. "How stupid! How moronic! What if I hadn't been home? What if you had tripped? How do you think I would feel, wondering day after day, what happened to you? And then there's the problem of dinner, that was supposed to be for tomorrow night. Now what do we do? What will we eat? Seriously! Do you ever think of anyone but yourself? No, of course you don't! You are so selfish!"

        That last sentence cuts through me like a hot knife through butter and I don't even respond. I can feel tears welling up and I turn and run for my bedroom. I refuse to let him see me cry.

       I can hear Wolfe calling after me, "Rain, wait! I'm sorry. Come back! I shouldn't have said that."

     I ignore him, lock my bedroom door, throw myself down on my bed and cry myself to sleep.