Gelyan

A faint tinkling sound rings out and I turn to see who is joining us. The store isn't very big but the shelves are just tall enough to block most of my line of vision. I can't see much but the tops of two heads, one blonde and one with black hair. I look back to Kat and see a document of some sort on the screen. I catch a quick glimpse of the word army or animal, and then she exits off that screen and the shopping screen is back up. Just in time too, because I hear two female voices chatting as they get closer.

            "You are so lucky. I would kill for attention from a guy like Duncan." A female voice says giggling.

            "I don't know. I'm already married." Says a familiar female voice.

             "That was your old life. You can always schedule yourself some alone time to mourn your old life. But you'll never see that place, again. This is the future, embrace it, embrace him. That dark curly hair, those dark brooding eyes, and those muscles. Honey, he is gorgeous!"

             "Gelyan." The second voice says sounding annoyed. "I mean, yes, he is gorgeous. Yes, he is well-muscled. Yes, he is important and well-connected. Second in command only to Altair. But the point is we have only been here for four months, and he wants to get married, in two months. Seems a little quick to me."

              About that time, the two females walk around the corner, and I can see who it is: Carina and Gelyan. The two women are facing each other as they walk, so they don't notice us at first. The laughter fades off of Gelyan's face and is replaced by a frown, the moment she spots me.

              "Gelyan? What's wrong?" Carina asks, before turning and seeing us. "Rayanna!" she says, running and giving me a hug. "I haven't seen you in forever!"

             I don't move but stiffly accept the hug. This girl has always been a bit overdramatic. Besides, I've never been a big hugger. I do, however, look over at Gelyan and match her frown for frown. Carina releases me and steps back.

                "What is your problem, Gelyan? Why do you seem to hate me?"

               "You annoy me. You are here. You are alive. You are breathing." Gelyan replies, folding her arms across her chest.

                "You still didn't tell me why you don't like me. I've never done anything to you."

                "I don't need a reason not to like you, but in case you didn't realize, I just gave you four reasons. I'm sorry but not everyone is going to like you. I just happen to be one of those people."

               "What are you two doing here?" Carina asks.

                 "Shopping." Kat and I both say at the same time.

                Gelyan's face remains unreadable, but Carina raises an eyebrow.

                  "So, Carina, I heard some of what you were saying when you walked in. You are getting married to Duncan?" Kat asks.

                I sigh, inwardly. Thank goodness for Kat. "Marriage to Duncan? That got serious, fast. How are you handling it?" I ask, pretending not to have overheard their conversation.

               "It's a little, odd, I'll admit. But I'm willing to focus on the future and not on my past."

                  "Good, I'm happy for you," I say, walking over to her and giving her a quick hug. I hate hugs but anything to throw her off and keep her from asking more questions.

                 Gelyan really seems to hate me, and I don't need her reporting Kat and me and getting us Cleansed.

               "We have to go, I promised Rayanna I would cook her a Copaie specialty. Come on Rain, this dish takes over two hours to cook." Kat says, turning and walking towards the front of the store.

                   "I'm sorry but I have to go. I can't get left behind by my life partner. I will try and stop by, one day, catch up. How does that sound?" I say, following Kat.

                "Okay, sounds good." Carina answers.

               "Thought you were shopping?" Gelyan calls out.

                   I stop and pick up a bag of purple potatoes. "We are. I was out of potatoes."

                   "What Copaie dish requires purple potatoes? I don't think that's a part of their diet." Gelyan taunts.

                  "Kat is making the main dish and I'm bringing a side dish if you must know," I say, sarcastically. I stop at the front of the store and wave the bracelet I'm wearing across the computer screen. There is a ding, and my bracelet temporarily glows green. I grab the potatoes and walk out. We are silent most of the walk back.

                 We stop just outside of our building, and Kat says, "She really bugs me."

                "Who? Gelyan?"

                 "Yes, Gelyan. She has such an attitude. She doesn't like me either, by the way."

                "She doesn't?"

               "No. She hates me for a different reason than she hates you. She hates my people. I can see it in her face."

               "I guess we could form a club. The Gelyan Hates Me Club."

               Kat laughs. "I doubt we would be the only club members. I have a feeling that girl doesn't like too many people."

                I laugh and then say, "I don't really understand her issues with me."

               "Altair." she answers quickly.

              "What about him?"

                "That's why she doesn't like you. Before you came along, he spent a little time with her. She thought she would get to marry him. She doesn't like the fact that he wants you."

                "Well, it's not my fault. I didn't ask him for his attention. I didn't try and get it."

                  "She doesn't care if you asked for his attention or not. The point is you have it. And she doesn't like that. It's power, she's after, and you stand between her and the power that she wants."