The Hunt

I roll over and check the alarm clock, nine a.m. Shoot! I overslept, again! I seriously have to stop staying out so late with Altair. After jumping up out of bed, I grab an outfit, throw it on, and brush my hair, quickly. My stomach growls, but there's no time for eating, I was supposed to have been downstairs, and in front of the apartment complex thirty minutes ago. I slip shoes on, and rush out my door, down the hall, down the stairs, across the entryway, and to the front doors. I can see everyone is gathered around Harmony, so I quietly open the front doors and slip outside. Looking around I see a table set up, with green backpacks and off to the side of that, I see sheets of paper folded in half. There doesn't appear to be anyone here but the same group of women that I have been taking classes with since I arrived, and Harmony. I slip into the crowd and look around for Kat. I find her and walk beside her, before whispering, "Why are we outside?"

             "I don't know why they have us, outside. But you do know that had you taken any longer, someone would have noticed. We could have gotten punished. What were you doing?" Kat whispers back.

              "Sorry, I overslept. I quickly threw on some clothes, brushed my hair, and flew down here as soon as I saw how late it was."

                "How did you oversleep? What were you doing, last night?"

                "Altair and I had dinner and he walked me around the city. Showed me a lot of things. He even proposed to me last night." I say. I don't hear Kat's reply because Harmony has started talking.

                 "All right ladies, this is the final day of training. It's been six months since you all arrived here. During that time, I taught you the ins and outs of this city and of our people, The Dini. Some of you are considering marriage, and the rest of you will be wanting to, shortly. To do that you must complete the final days of training. That's right, I said days. Your final task is a scavenger hunt. Each set of partners has their own list, and each list has its people hunting for different items. We don't want our teams bumping into each other. This scavenger hunt is to be the ultimate test not only to see if you will follow the rules taught to you but to test your trust in your life partner. Some of you will not make it back, alive, Rojus is a dangerous planet. I highly suggest that you stay in Paridon and not try to leave the safety of the city.

                Now, the rules say you cannot receive help from another team, if caught helping another team, you will be disqualified. Disqualified teams will be Cleansed. If you do not finish in the allotted time frame, you will be Cleansed. If you do not have the proper items by the time the event ends, you will be Cleansed. So, I suggest that you try and finish early so that you can get your items checked and go back out, if necessary. When I say, go, I want each team to come up here, grab a backpack and a list, and go ahead and get started. Your backpacks will contain the camping gear that you will need. Your rooms are temporarily locked, and your handprint will not work. We need you to understand how to survive out here. Any questions before I release you?" she asks. She's met with silence, so she continues, "You have until sundown on the third day. Good luck, out there." And with that, she turns and walks away.

               I just stand there and stare at her retreating form, stunned into silence. We are being forced to sleep out here. My mind flashes back to the other night, the creepy singing, Harmony flipping out about something being on the loose and everyone dying.

               "Come on," Kat says, gently tugging on my arm. "Let's get started."

                 I grab a backpack from the table, it's large and has two sleeping bags buckled to the bottom of it. I also pick up a sheet of paper, folded in half, that bares our names on it. On the last table, I grab a lantern filled with what appears to be sand. We walk off a little way before unfolding the paper and checking out the list.

                                                   Final Days Scavenger Hunt

1.) I'm wet, your dry, but when you get me, you'll be wet, and I'll be dry. Just don't forget to gurgle.

2.) I'm high in the sky but I don't fly. I'm really rare, just call me royal. Drop me and I'll break.

3.) When I'm young, I'm found in the dark. Once I'm old I come to the light. Any kind will do.

4.) I have branches but I'm not a tree.

You have to bring back something yellow and green.

5.) Check your reflection but not in a mirror. I'm something shiny and silver. One quick tug is all it takes; but don't worry, it won't hurt me.

6.) I'm hunting you while you search for clues, if you don't follow the rules, you'll end up dead. A tooth, a hair, or a claw, bring a piece of me or lose it all.

           "That last one sounds creepy," I say.

          "And dangerous. Creepy and dangerous." Kat says.

           "So, what do you think?" I ask.

            "I think we better get started. Come on, let's go over here, away from everyone, so I can think." She says, walking over to the edge of the woods.

             I follow her. "I'm wet and you are dry. That seems easy. Whatever it is, it's in water. But the question is where?"

            "Can I see that sheet of paper, again?" she asks.

              "Yeah, sure," I say, handing the list over to her.

              "Wet. Dry. That could be anywhere. There are two bodies of water in this area, far as I can tell. Which area? Wet. Dry. Wet. Dry. Gurgle. Wait. I think I know what it is and where." Kat says, excitedly.

             "Where?" I ask.

            "Follow me." She says mysteriously, as she tucks the list into her skirt pocket.