The Deal

I really need to leave here as soon as possible. But a voice in the back of my mind starts nagging me. It's telling me that escaping Altair won't be that easy. I am about halfway to the building Wolfe and Lou are staying when I remember that Wolfe is napping, and I am responsible for Lou. Oh, no! Lou! I left her in the library all by herself. I take off running back the way I came, back towards the library. As I'm running, a woman carrying a basket of fruits walks out in front of me. I'm running too fast, to dodge, and I hit her, and we both crash to the ground. I untangle myself from limb and basket, jump to my feet, offer a quick apology, and continue running toward the library.

                "Please still be there." I pant to myself. I see the library up ahead, and with one more burst of speed, I close the gap between me and the door. I sling the door open and run inside. "Lou? Lou? Where are you?" I shout. But instead of a little girl's voice answering me, I receive only silence. The pile of books she was surrounded with when I left are still laying on the floor. I run down aisle after aisle but see no sign of her. I walk back out the door and stop in front of the building. Stupid! What was I thinking? Wolfe is going to kill me. I look out across town, debating what to do next. Do I keep searching or do I just leave? I sigh. I can't just leave; it wouldn't be right. My feet automatically start moving in the direction of Altair's house. He may be a criminal, but he is in charge of this town, if anyone could find Lou, it would be him. Besides, he told me if I ever needed him, all I had to do was ask. And right now, I need all the help I can get.

               As I approach the guards outside of Altair's house, I find them to be the same ones as earlier. "Is Altair, home?"

               "Yes, he is." One says.

                 "Can you let him know, that I need to speak to him, please?" I ask.

                     "Go on in, Miss Rayanna." The other says.

                   I walk to the door, and this time with permission, twist the handle of the doorknob and push the door open. I step inside and push the door closed, all the while looking around the room. I find Altair sitting at his table, going over documents. And nothing but a pile of blankets laying in a heap on his bed. "Altair?"

                 "Yes?" he asks, looking up at me.

                "I need your help with something," I say walking over to the table.

                   "Do you, now?" He puts the papers in his hands down.

                    "Yes, I uh." I start. For some reason, he is making me nervous. "I need your help finding my niece. The little girl who nearly tackled me, earlier. I can't find her, anywhere."

                   "Well now, here's the thing," Altair says, standing up. "The way I see it, I already helped you."

                  "I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean," I answer, taking a step back.

                 "I saw you outside of my window. I moved the conversation with Orion, outside so you could hear it. And then I convinced my guards to go off on a meaningless task, with me so the house would be empty and unguarded."

                "I... I..." I stammer. He saw me? He let me find the book? But why?

                "Don't lie to me!" he thunders. He's silent a moment before continuing in a softer voice, "I don't like liars. Don't have much use for them. I knew you were after the town logs. Did you find what you were looking for?" he asks, his eyes searching mine.

                 Do I lie or tell the truth? He seems to already know the truth, so I guess it doesn't matter. "Yes. I did."

                  "Good. Now, can I have my logbook back?" he asks holding out his hand.

                I pull the book out of my waistband and hand it to him. He takes it from me and drops it onto the table. "So, can you help me? Please? She's just a little girl, and I promise I won't tell anyone what I read."

              "I have no doubt in my mind that you will keep my secret. Although, even if you did decide to tell it, no one will really care. The people in this town are happy, safe, and well fed, that's all they really care about."

           "And the people of the other towns? The ones you raided?"

            "They are fine. My men didn't harm them."

              I try a different tactic. "If you don't want to help me, I understand," I say.

             "I'll help you, under one condition," Altair says.

              "What's that?"

                "If you marry me."

                "Why would I do that?" I ask, shocked.

                 "Because if you don't, your brother and his daughter will not live to see next spring."

                So, the true Altair is showing his face. "Why do you want to marry me? You don't know me, we just met."

               "You have a pretty face."

                "You want to marry me because I have a pretty face? That doesn't make sense."

                "Does it really matter why?"

                 "No, I guess it doesn't. Fine. I Agree. Now let's go. I need to find my niece right away."

                "You don't have to go anywhere."

                "I don't understand. What do you mean 'I don't have to go anywhere'?" I ask, confused. "I told you the little girl is missing, and I need to find her before something happens to her."

               "What I mean is, she is right over there, asleep. Little tike fell asleep within two minutes of getting here." He points in the direction of his bed, in the corner of the room.

               I walk towards the bed and the bundle of blankets, pull back the covers and find Lou, fast asleep. "She's been here the entire time?"

               "Yes, she has." Altair says.

                I pick her up and head for the door.

                "Rayanna."

                "Yes?" I ask, turning back to look at him.

                 "Don't forget our agreement. I'd hate for that little girl and her father to die."