I Owe Her My Life

The wind blows through the trees, whistling as it does so. The sky is dark, but not because of nightfall, but because of storm clouds laden with rain. You can smell the moisture in the air, the saltiness that fills the water. Feel the gentle crackle of static electricity, warning everyone that this will not be an ordinary storm, this will be a bad one. There's only been one other storm since I arrived on this planet, that's been as bad as this one promises to be, and it knocked out all the power in the entire city for three days. Thankfully, the forcefield around the city has backup solar panels, so no more of those vile creatures were able to slip inside. The weather perfectly matches my mood. I'm not exactly thrilled about hiking in this sort of weather and the reason for being out here has me in a sour mood.

                 Altair leads a small group of us out into the middle of nowhere, followed by a handcuffed Kat, two soldiers, and me bringing up the rear. I should probably walk beside my husband-to-be, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Walking beside him is almost like I am agreeing with the death sentence he has placed on Kat. Can I really stand and watch as Kat gets Cleansed? I know the Dini forced us to be together, but she still became my friend. She helped me to realize that whatever the Ghemin did to me, I wasn't crazy, that they enabled me to travel between realities. She was able to save me from drowning.

                "What's on your mind?" Altair asks, slowing down until he is walking beside me.

                 "Nothing, really." I lie. "Just thinking about the weather and wondering how bad it's going to get."

                   "Judging by the amount of static electricity in the air, I would say it's going to be really bad."

                      "Will we make it back before the storm hits?"

                       "Possibly. If everything goes according to plan."

                        "What exactly is the plan?" I ask.

                          "I told you; the plan is to Cleanse Kat." Altair answers.

                         "I get that. What I mean is, what does the Cleansing involve? How does it work?"

                         "Would you like to find out for yourself?"

                           "No... I .... Was just...." I stammer.

                          Altair lets out a hearty laugh and throws an arm over my shoulder. "I was just messing with you. The Cleansing is a very special ritual that I can't really explain. You have to see it for yourself."

                      "Is it really necessary to Cleanse her? Can't you just send her back to her own planet and warn them away or something?" I ask.

                       "You see, that right there, is what I love about you. You are so sweet, so vulnerable, so willing to see the best in everyone."

                      "Is that a, yes?" I ask, hopeful.

                       "That's a no. While you see the best in everyone, I understand that everyone is out to please their own selves. If I sent her away with a slap on the wrist, she or another of her kind would just return and try to complete whatever mission she was sent here to complete. I just can't allow that. Now, on the other hand, if I were to make an example of her, it would be a nice warning to anyone else wishing the Dini harm, that we will not tolerate traitors. The fear of death is a great motivator. It's how I have accomplished as much as I have."

                    "I owe her my life, Altair. I would have drowned back there in that lake if it weren't for Kat."

                       "While I do owe her some gratitude, I can't be slack on the punishment. If I did, everyone would do as they wanted and beg for mercy later. Do you understand?"

                           "No." I say, just above a whisper.

                          "I'm sorry to hear that, but let's just call the Cleansing a necessity and leave it at that," Altair says, taking his arm off of my shoulder.

                            Do I dare ask? He didn't like when Carina questioned him back in Eterly Station. But he hasn't shown that kind of anger with me... "Well, why out here? Especially in this weather? Couldn't it wait until another day?"

                            "It's all part of the ritual, my dear, you will see soon enough." He answers, mysteriously.

                                 I fall silent and drop my head, soon Altair retakes his position at the head of the group. My gloomy thoughts return, and I am left wondering what this ritual is and why it must be done in a certain place. A loud thunderclap cracks and the boom that follows echoes around me, causing me to look up. Where are we? Why does this place look so familiar? A large rock looms in front of us. No not a rock, a cave. Could it be? Is this the place Kat and I came to the other day? The place where she tried to convince me to turn on Altair? Why are we here? Is this the place where the ritual will happen? Wait a minute, this is where Kat discovered the hair of the beast.

                          My stomach suddenly feels heavy, and waves of nausea wash over me. If the beast is here, and we are here, and the Cleansing is happening here; I think he is planning on feeding Kat to the beast. The next wave of nausea hits me so hard; I double over and empty the contents of my stomach.