Chapter 6: Mastermind

I would be lying my head off if I said that my thoughts weren't on Gerard the second we stepped out the door. It usually took me days, even months to start developing feelings for someone, but this was different. Hell, I'd seen the boy for less than ten hours and my heart was already pounding every time I thought of his hazel eyes. It didn't sound like the Lindsey I knew.

"What did you guys think?" Steve asks once we're all piled into the car, Kitty in the front seat, Steve driving and Jimmy and I in the backseat.

"Jeez, that was... something," Jimmy answers Steve and looks at me. I look back at the boy and he raises a questioning eyebrow.

"Yeah, that was something else," I agree and turn my head back away from Jimmy to look out the window. The car is now zooming down one of Belleville's roads and I can't see Gerard's house anymore. My heart flutters again as I think back to the words he said as we were leaving.

"I thought it was pretty rad," Kitty announces and Steve stifles a laugh, making it sound like he's choking.

"Rad? Kitty, no one say rad anymore," Steve informs Kitty. Kitty just rolls her eyes and slaps Steve's arm.

"Oh shut up, Frank taught it to me. I think it's a good word," Kitty says and crosses her arms over her chest. Steve chuckles.

"Linds, what about you? How was it?" Steve asks and gives me a glance through the rearview mirror. His words shrug me out of my thoughts and I snap back into the real world.

"It was fine. Better than hanging around in the city," I say, trying to sound defeated. Jimmy bumps my shoulder and smirks.

"Just fine? I saw the looks you gave that boy, Gerard," he teases. I hit his shoulder, but it's too late. Kitty and Steve heard Jimmy, and are both oohing and aahing in the front.

"Oh, Lin has a crush," Kitty sings and turns around to look at me. I'm busy hitting Jimmy, while he tries to squirm away, yelling for me to stop. Steve is smiling as he drives and giving Kitty looks, as she dances in her seat.

"Stop it! I do not have a crush, you know it takes me a long time to like someone!" I squeal as I punch Jimmy's arm for umpteenth time.

"Yeah, right," Steve says, unconvinced. I turn to him and flip him off. He must've seen it through the mirror, since he chuckles and wiggles his eyebrows suggestively. I roll my eyes and turn back to Jimmy, who's taken advantage of his short freedom from my grip, and is now rubbing his arm.

"Lindsey has a boyfriend," Jimmy mutters quietly. I glance at him murderously and punch his arm one last time. Jimmy yelps and his hand flies to his arm to rub it again.

"So Lindsey, when is the wedding?" Kitty asks teasingly. I grunt and turn away to look out the window.

"Seriously, fuck off, all of you," I mutter. All three of my so-called-friends, burst into laughter as I look out the window and think of what they said.

I think I like Gerard. Well, maybe not like him, but I have feelings for him. He was kind and funny, not to mention attractive. He wasn't clingy or annoying, but deep and sincere. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say I like like him. Sure, my stomach flipped and my head felt a bit fuzzy whenever he smiled, but I can't say I like a person after seeing them once. It's not right.

"Aww, we're sorry, Linds, we'll stop now. But actually though, how was it?" Kitty finally says from the front, once she's recovered from her brief laughing fit. I give her a glance.

"I already told you, it was fine. Better than Brooklyn," I repeat, still a bit pissed off at my friends. Kitty nods and looks at me, flashing an apologetic smile. I don't return the smile, but instead look at Jimmy, who is tapping his knees and looking out the window.