Chapter 13: Pay for It

Unlike usual, a silence has taken over Gerard's basement room as the nine of us sit there, astonished and with no clue as to what to do. Though Belleville isn't the safest place in all of New Jersey, it's hard to steal a car and we never thought it would happen.

"I'm... I still don't know how this happened? Do you have the car keys?" Gerard breaks the silence, looking toward Steve, who proceeds to dig out the car keys from his pocket, the jingle of them waking us all up from the shocked slump, "Well, at least you can spend the night. My mom said she'd set up beds and everything so..." Gerard trails off slowly.

"I'm fine if you guys stay the night," Frank pipes in, leaning back on Gerard's bed where he is seated. Mikey turns his gaze toward Frank, looking at him like he was a maniac,

"Frank, for the last time, you don't live – oh, you know what, fuck it. Welcome to your new home, Frank," Mikey gives up, accepting that Frank has chosen the Ways' home as his new one, away from the chaos of his family. Frank beams at Mikey, knowing that Mikey was fooling around, but still enjoying the thought of practically living at the Ways' house

"Looks like there's no other option than to spend the night," Jimmy sighs. Kitty and Frank exchange a gleeful glance, clearly excited about the opportunity of having a sleepover amongst our newly formed group of friends.

"I've gotta call my mom," I say, getting up and stepping toward the door. However, a small shout from Kitty interrupts me.

"Lindsey!"

"What?" I turn around.

"You didn't tell us in the car; what happened with your mom?"

It feels like a small weight was suddenly dropped on my shoulders, like telling my friends about everything would in some odd way, make things worse. But, I knew Steve, Kitty and Jimmy, and they knew me, so hiding things wouldn't make anything better. They're persistent people; I had to tell.

"Well, she... She's been sober for a week, and she's going to AA meetings, so she's... I guess, getting help," I struggle to get the words out, but Kitty's joyous facial expression makes me doubt ever thinking of not telling.

"Lindsey! Lyn, this is so great! I, oh gosh, I'm speechless! This is going to change everything," Kitty practically yells, jumping on me and hugging me tight against her small frame. I hug back, grateful for her affection.

Jimmy and Steve proceed to hug me, too, once I've managed to pry Kitty off me, and the boys of MCR give me high fives and congratulate me, though the one they should be congratulating, is my mom.

"Thanks you guys, it – it means a lot," I smile, directing my eyes toward Gerard who gives me a small nod and a thumbs up. I smile at him, and then begin making my way back toward the door to call my mom, who is probably worried sick.

In the corridor, I dial my mom's number and press the phone to my ear, holding the device tighter than I should. The phone beeps mechanically into my ear a few times, before the line crackles and my mom's voice echoes through the phone.

"Lindsey? Is this you?" She asks. I breathe a sigh of relief when I hear her voice, clear, and no signs of slurring. She was sober.

"Hi, yeah, it's me," I answer.

"Oh good, I was so worried. It's really late, you know?"

"Yeah, I know. Listen, mom, can I spend the night at Kitty's?"

"I'd allow it."

"What do you mean you would allow it?" I ask, confused.

"I mean, I'd allow it, if you were actually at Kitty's house." My mother's words send my brain into a frenzy. How do I come back from this one?