Chapter 11: What. Are. You?

Medical science has made wonders for this world, especially since the dawn of quirks. No longer following a straightforward image of human anatomy, incredible geniuses rose up to take the stand in paving the path for humanity's future. Little did the first generation of quirk users know, the powers passed down by their bloodline would grow more and more powerful. This begs the question, are quirks sustainable in the long term?

The answer to this question was ravenously sought by Dr. Kyudai Garaki. A brilliant mind, although he was reportedly quirkless, he contributed to many things in early quirk science, such as the link between pinky toes and quirk factors and detailing the differences in anatomy between the quirkless and ones with quirks. These were key factors in developing the society that many children and heroes took for granted today. Despite these achievements, Garaki was unwilling to stop his research. The world of academia is a cold, cutthroat world where frequent publications had to be made, otherwise one would perish. Garaki, needing to stay ahead of his academic rivals, knew he had to make a major breakthrough.

Spending years in solitude, Garaki would experiment with the limits of power the human body could take while publishing uninteresting papers on the side to keep his name out there. One day, while compiling his data, the doctor watched the analysis in his darkened, cramped laboratory. Seeing flashes of dark red appear on his computer screen, the doctor dropped his glasses, jaw-dropped.

"What will become of humanity now," the doctor said, moaning in despair. The data he collected was truly flawless this time. Word had to get out immediately before Earth was doomed. In a quick blitz, he compiled what is now known as the Quirk Doomsday Singularity Theory. He immediately signed up for whatever academic conferences he could make a talk in, desperate to share his findings around the world. Seeing a crowd of academics and other professionals, the doctor would begin his talk.

"My friends, thank you all for coming," the doctor said. "I have a most horrific development about the quirk phenomena."

The audience's ears seemed to perk, none of which felt positive.

"As we are in the early generations of quirk usage, the quirks we have are relatively easy to maintain," he would explain. "Although there are many quirks out there with different effects and lifestyle, the act of having a quirk factor has not negatively affected human biology."

A yawn or two could be seen; this was all already well known information.

"However, as you can see from this data, quirks will become increasingly more powerful in future generations," he elaborated. "While at first glance, this sounds positive, the fact is, this is the greatest danger to humanity."

The audience roared with laughter, with some people flashing around their quirks as he spoke.

"Now, l-let me introduce you to the research that brought me here," he said, stuttering. "The Quirk Doomsday Singularity Th-"

Roars of laughter erupted from the crowd, with many comments expressing their disbelief that superpowers can even kill them. This reaction completely drowned out the doctor's presentation, forcing him to end early.

"Uh, t-thank you," he said weakly.

He couldn't even have the face to sit next to anyone at that conference, for this was it. Humanity was truly doomed. He went to the bathroom to wash his face, trying to hold in his tears and mucus in.

"Now, can you tell me more about this 'Quirk Doomsday Singularity Theory?'" a man with a calm voice asked.

The doctor turned around, seeing a very tall, skinny man in a suit approaching him. He had red eyes and white hair, which was a breath of fresh air from the doctor's tired eye, balding look.