Chapter 14: Piece of Cake!

The UA students frantically ran out of the gate, desperate to achieve victory to distinguish themselves. Or at least, they tried to. Students were cramped up together with limited mobility, struggling to move forward quickly. Black supposed that the obstacle course purposely designed the start to be very narrow, possibly a 'filter' test.

"Uhhhhhh," Black muttered, flinching his eyes. "I'm not sure what to exactly assess here." The sight of the students trying to leave the entrance was a hilariously pitiful sight to him.

"They'll get out eventually," Aizawa said. "There's still a long way to go."

The Saiyan nodded and looked back at the obstacle course's progress.

As the students barely made their way out of the entrance, a giant stream of ice shot out. A kid with half red, half white hair ran ahead of his frozen peers, taking the lead.

"Looks like Shoto Todoroki from class 1-A is taking the competition in a cool way!" Mic commentated.

"That was a terrible pun," Aizawa reacted.

"Hmm, that's Shoto Todoroki huh," Black observed. "That's the same surname as Endeavor, no?"

"Yes, that's correct," Aizawa replied. "As you might expect, he lives up to very high expectations."

Half fire, half ice, Black thought. Seems like that's in the top echelon of powers around here. I wonder if his fires will match up to the tales I heard about his father.

Back on the obstacle course, students were still lamenting about their predicament, almost all of them were unable to move. Suddenly, several students managed to break through the icy footing and launched themselves further.

"I WON'T LET YOU GET AWAY FROM ME, HALF AND HALF BASTARD!!!" Bakugo screamed at Todoroki, soaring with his explosions.

"Well, it looks like people are moving now," Black observed. Along with Shoto Todoroki and Katsuki Bakugo were the belly-button laser 'Aoyama' kid, the hardened 'Kirishima,' and Momo Yaoyorozu. However, most of the other participants looked like amateur skaters, such as Izuku Midoriya's.

Did I seriously consider Izuku Midoriya to be a possible rival? the Saiyan wondered, looking at how Izuku was barely able to move. For someone supposedly able to destroy entire robots in a single punch, this was a pathetic showing.

"Midoriya's quirk is supposed to be 'Superpower,' no?" Black asked. "If his quirk grants him superhuman strength and capabilities, what's holding him back from using it?"

"He has a habit of breaking his bones," Aizawa replied. "Its strength is similar to that of All Might's but with far worse control. I suspect that he's saving it up until he really needs it."

Still with that flaw, huh, Black thought, remembering Inko Midoriya saying that Izuku broke his arm. But comparable to All Might? I suppose I haven't seen it in action yet. He rubbed his chin during his pondering.

Participants eventually got better footing of their slippery environments, with the 'skaters' turning into slow runners. There were a few creative approaches, such as one kid who managed to get four others to carry him, and Minoru Mineta using his quirk as makeshift trampolines, bouncing along the ice at great speed.

"I'VE GOT YOU NOW, TODOROKI!" Mineta yelled out, grinning arrogantly in the air at the fire and ice user. "HERE'S MY SPECIAL ATTACK: GRA-"

The purple ball kid was knocked away by a hunk of green metal that appeared out of nowhere. Seeing this, Black laughed out loud.

"Obstacles have just shown up on the course!" Mic said. " We're starting with...the first barrier! Robo Inferno!!"

An army of huge green robots towered above the students, shocking many of them. The Saiyan could sense the fear many of their eyes gave.