part 16

When the screaming stopped, the mist cleared. And where the two ladies had previously stood, they were now shackled by an enchantment, struggling and embarrassed.

"Let us go!" Su Jin cried.

Donghua Dijun stood there, furious and cold.

"Donghua Dijun! I...we..."

Dijun held his hand up and they both flinched.

"Save it. The Fox Clan are on their way. Both of you have a lot of people to answer to. No one can help you if the Fox Clan decides to come down on the Heaven Clan with full force. The people of Qing Qiu will not forgive you for what you did to their princess."

The two ladies struggled and begged for mercy. "You- please, save us. Let us go!" "Please! I beg of you!"

His eyes flickered down to Feng Jiu, who was curled up, wide-eyed.

"Are you alright?"

"H-huh?"

Dijun raised his brows.

"Yes! I-I'm okay."

He offered a hand and she took it. He pulled her up.

"Stay here and wait for your family to come. They will be here soon."

She nodded and he touched her hair, just the barest of touches, but it still sent a shiver down her spine.

Blue light flickered. Then flames erupted. Le Xu cried out as both she and Su Jin were flung backwards.

Her aunt appeared, then her fourth uncle. Her father. Zhe Yan. And last of all, the Crown Prince.

Her aunt came forward, eyes alight with anger. "You took my niece and disrespected our clan. Who do you think you are?"

Su Jin struggled. "I would do anything if it means staying by Ye Hua's side." Her voice was low and hoarse from the screaming. Her hair was messed up and her face was sooty.

"Then would you mind dying for that too?" Her aunt replied coolly. Feng Jiu's head jerked up. The Fox Clan was willing to kill for her?

The Crown Prince stepped forward. "Had Feng Jiu been hurt in any way, you both would have suffered a fate worse than death. Mother, what on earth possessed you to do this?"

Le Xu looked up, not an ounce of nervousness in her. "You know clearly that I will never allow you to marry this wild fox."

Her father- her father! - came forward and addressed her aunt. "What do we do with these two? My daughter should not be bait for any schemes these two witches are planning."

"Send them back up to the Nine Heavens." Her fourth uncle suggested. "They can receive their punishment there."

"The Heavenly Lord already doesn't like this marriage. He himself threatened the Crown Prince to marry Su Jin. Don't expect to get any justice there." Dijun sighed.

Su Jin looked up, glaring at Dijun. "You always side with the Fox Clan! Because of this vixen!" She pointed as best she could at Feng Jiu, who let out a sound of indignation. "You were always supposed to help the Heaven Clan! You-"

"I side with the ones who deserve it and not the ones who commit atrocities. Whose fault is it, Su Jin, for attempting to harm the Princess of Qing Qiu and humiliating the Fox Clan?" Dijun replied calmly. "Don't use others as an excuse for yourself."

"Dijun is indeed wise." Zhe Yan said. "There is a reason why he was given power back then and why he has kept it even today." He looked at the two ladies incredulously. "And the cheek of you to undermine his intentions."

Bai Qian looked at her lover. "What do we do then, if the Heavenly Lord will not dispense the justice needed?"

Dijun glanced at the two writhing women, his lip curling in distaste. "In the end, they will be sent back up, but name your punishment, and I will make sure they get it."

Ye Hua had a feeling it wasn't just how he and Bai Qian had suffered humiliation that spurred this reaction.