part 11

the wedding was held, but there was no representative from Qing Qiu who attended.

Ye Hua smiled humourlessly as Su Jin revelled in the occasion.

he had hoped that someone, anyone, from Qing Qiu would have attended. apparently not.

after the speech made by the Skylord, they all sat down for the wedding banquet and the few sentences that Su Jin began to utter to those who would listen made his blood boil.

"of course, he would have chosen me. i am a princess of the Nine Heavens, the sole remaining descendant of the Su Jin clan. what chance would a queen of a small place have against me?"

another young princess looked on nervously at Ye Hua, afraid that he might do something to ruin the night's joy.

he did nothing, but his fists clenched under the wedding robe.

"and you know, for many days I actually thought she would win me and eventually marry Ye Hua. but of course, I got it."

his anger was slowly rising, and the young princess who was watching him knew that. she tried to get Su Jin to stop talking.

"yes, Lady Su Jin, but, Crown Prince doesn't seem like-"

"oh of course he's happy, he's always hid his true emotions. don't you know that? i'm sure that i'll be the perfect wife for him. after all, i've known him, and loved him longer than anyone else!"

"and," she added thoughtfully, "perhaps i'll be able to give him a son to take over his throne."

his rage exploded.

he banged his fist upon the table, drawing everyone's eyes and attention. Donghua Dijun looked on in mild curiosity.

he bent toward the petrified Su Jin and growled, "no one, especially you, will ever replace Bai Qian. i only did this to release my son and Bai Qian, and i have no other wish than to see them happy. and for that, maybe i should start to make myself happy too. i now proclaim that i will never marry you, no matter what it takes. because i know that no matter what, Qian Qian and i will get through it together."

"and," he added furiously, "i will never have an offspring with you."

he stormed out of the hall, but not before upturning the tables, leaving a terrified court in his wake.
_____________
he rushed to Qing Qiu, only to find her servant telling him that she was busy and was not to be disturbed.

he barely listened, and barged into the cave.

"Qian Qian." he said softly, when he saw that she turned away immediately at the sight of him.

"shouldn't you be celebrating your marriage? you oughtn't to be here." she said quietly.

"this marriage was nothing to me. i would not celebrate. i would never."

"then why are you here?" she asked.

"i wanted to apologise. this isn't what you think."

"then enlighten me. i admit my confusion at all of this mess. say whatever you have to. i'll listen."

they sat at the stone bench and Ye Hua took a deep breath.

"Su Jin said that if I married her, she would release both you and A-Li. i had to agree, i never doubted her ability to hurt people. especially those whom i love."

"but you should have known. i am a high goddess. i could have found a way out using my powers. i didn't need someone to go into an unwilling marriage just to release me. i could have gotten out somehow." she said.

"it slipped my mind." he said sheepishly. "i could only think about what would happen should you or A-Li get hurt."

"i see."

they sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes. finally Bai Qian said, "Su Jin- she really loves you to go and do such things, doesn't she?"

"this isn't what you call love." Ye Hua replied. "if she really loved me she should support whoever i love."

"true." Bai Qian said. "she tried to sabotage everything between us so as to be able to earn your love. in a way, i pity her."

Ye Hua nodded, staring straight ahead. he was afraid of what would happen next.

"Ye Hua?"

"yes?"

"it's good to see you again."