Chapter Five: I Have the Handlebars

"Since when do you get dressed up for work?" Riley asked her husband who was buttoning a blue dress shirt in front of their full-length mirror.

"Since I was invited to board meetings," Jake groaned as his wife laughed, hugging him from behind.

"Well, you should dress down... You forget I have to go to those too. I'm not gonna be able to take my eyes off you."

"Well, that's not my problem, Mrs. Wolff," Jake said, fixing his tie as he flipped his suit jacket on. "I'll see you later," he said, kissing her as he smiled, before walking out of the bedroom.

Jake unlocked the door to the indoor facility and repeated the same routine he had for the last week. As he was untying the net from its post on the ground and setting it in its usual position, the door opened and Jake smiled.

    "Hey! Is that you, Nick? I was- Oh. Sam. What a nice surprise. What's up?"

Jake was expecting to find his best friend and assistant coach walking in but was pretty shocked to see the principal of Brennan, Sam Adair, standing there in his suit and tie. He looked out of place compared to Jake in his coaches jacket and sweatpants; Jake had to admit he was sort of caught off guard by the visit but he just carried on like everything was normal.

    "Hey, Jake. Have you seen Nick today? He was supposed to meet me in my office earlier and he didn't come. I know it's not like him to not show up," Adair said, shifting his position so he could see Jake.

Jake walked out of the net, biting his lip nervously. Nick missed a meeting with Adair?! Maybe this was an even bigger problem than Jake thought...

    "His daughter is having some trouble right now. He missed practice yesterday too. I can't get a hold of him. But don't worry, Sam, I'll take care of it."

    "You better," Adair said, his voice low. "Because I don't want to have a problem with you," He said as he left, the door banging behind him.

    "Hey, Coach. Why was Mr. Adair here?"

    "Don't worry about it, Parker, okay?" Jake said shortly, picking up his phone.

    "Okay," He said, glancing at Jake.

Jake sighed. He didn't mean to sort of snap that at Parker but he was annoyed at Nick as much as he tried not to be. Sure, yes, his daughter was not well and as her father, it was his job to take care of her but this was two days in a row and Nick never missed anything so sue Jake if he was worried and angry.

    "Guys! Hey! Go warm up. I got to make a phone call," Jake called to his team as they nodded and grabbed a ball from his hand, going into the cage to start throwing. Jake walked into the corner and paced as he waited for Nick to pick up. When he heard a click, he just started talking, not even waiting for a beginning greeting.

    "Nick. What the hell, Zaminski! I am in no way mad at you even though I sound mad as hell. I just don't want you to get fired, Nick. What is wrong?"

    "What happened to hello?" Nick asked, sarcastically.

    "You realize... this isn't funny, Nick? Adair could fire you so fast your head will spin. I hope Sav is okay but I hope you remember Mackenzie is her mother. You are not in this alone and you need to start letting people help you. Cause in the end it's only you who's gonna suffer."

Nick didn't say anything as the line went silent. Jake sighed.

    "I'll talk to you later. I gotta go run a practice," Jake finished as he hung up, Nick calling his name as the line went dead.