Chapter Thirteen: Allies or Antagonists?

"Nick, stop pacing. You're making me tense."

    "I can't help it, 'Kenzie."

    "You're making me tense. Sit. Down."

Nick obeyed but couldn't sit still so he bounced his knee up and down quietly as Mackenzie went back to her book.

    "She's been back there for a while. I should go check on her. Yeah, I feel like I should check on her," Nick said, getting up but Mac grabbed his shoulder.

    "Jack will let us know when there's news. Trust him and for the love of god, Nick...  sit down!"

    "How are you so calm about this?" Nick asked, incredulously as he looked at his wife who went back, yet again, to reading her book.

    "Because I trust whose hands she's in, Nick," Mackenzie said without looking up.

As she said that, a doctor walked into the waiting room and locked eyes with Nick.

    "Family of Savannah Zaminski?"

    "Yes, that's us. I'm Nick and this is Mackenzie. We're her parents. How is she?"

    "Nick, let the doctor speak, honey."

The doctor laughed and nodded his thanks at Mackenzie. "That's quite alright but thank you. First of all, my name's Dr. Pearle. I'm the attending in charge of Savannah. Dr. Royala is my resident on the case so don't worry, he's close by. "

    "How is Sav?" Nick repeated.

    "We are monitoring her closely and Jack and I believe it is in her best interest to stay overnight to keep her close."

    "What's wrong with her?" Mackenzie asked as Nick slid his hand into hers.

"We're not sure yet but she definitely has some sort of infection. We are continuing to run tests and I promise you, we will get to the bottom of it. You can come see her now if you want."

    "You go, hun. I'm gonna call Jake."

Mackenzie followed Dr. Pearle and Nick stayed back to dial Jake's number.

    "Huh. He didn't pick up. Weird. Mac! Wait up."

Jake unlocked his front door and closed it, quietly.

    "Jake? Is that you?"

    "Yeah."

Jake walked into the living room. Riley had the TV on and she was tossing a salad.

    "I'm making tacos for dinner. I thought you could make your guacamole I love so much?"

    "I'm not hungry, Ry," Jake said, going through the mail on the kitchen table.

Riley placed the bowl back on the counter and looked at Jake. "Are you okay?"

    "Fine. Just fine. I'm great. Why?"

    "Cause I know you and you look like you're about to throw hands, J."

Jake set the mail down and lowered himself into a chair. "I'm sure you know where I went."

Riley nodded, not saying anything.

    "I saw Luke. He was hungover."

    "He was... what?"

    "Hungover," Jake repeated. "On the field. Running practice. With my kids."

Jake was deadpanning everything so as not to yell as Riley because this wasn't her fault. If anything, it might have been his.