Chapter Six: Take Control, Coaches

Jake boarded the bus and counted off the heads of his kids as they chattered.

    "Hey! Guys! Up here! Alright, it's just me today so let's just take it one step at a time, okay. When we get there.. Guys, pay attention, please. Stay with me. When we get there, I want your stuff against the wall and start stretching immediately. Grab a partner and a ball from my bucket and throw. Then, I'll take it from there, okay. I'll give you the lineup when we get there. But, hey! Listen! We stay focused, we stay together, and we play hard, okay? It's just a preseason scrimmage but that doesn't mean we don't try as hard. Okay, as you were."

Jake sat back down in his seat as the bus roared to life and they started the thirty-minute drive to Royal Area. Jake took out his phone.

On our way to the scrimmage. Wish you were with me. How is everything?- Jake 3:23

Nick wrote back almost immediately.

All good here. Worried about you though.-Nick

Jake replied back with a question mark.

You and Adair?-Nick

Jake sighed and shook his head as he typed back.

How could I forget Brennan was such a rumor mill? I'll talk to you about it later.- Jake

Jake put his phone in his pocket as the bus slowed to a stop and slid out of his seat and stood up in front of the team.

    "Alright. We're here. Let's get in, get settled, and start on time."

The team all cheered and grabbed their stuff, getting off the bus. Jake was last and Parker was waiting for him.

    "You alright, Coach?"

    "Yeah, why, Parker?" Jake asked, checking his folders as they started walking towards the facility.

    "You just seem different, I don't know."

    "I'm good, Fox. Go with your team. I'll be there in a minute."

Parker nodded and ran ahead, leaving Jake alone to walk and wonder how he was gonna hide what he was feeling.

Jake would never tell the kids outright but he was nervous.

For not only his future but for his kids...

Jake bit his lip and glanced at the bleachers. Adair just looked back at him. Jake fought the urge to turn around and curl up in a ball of embarrassment. He was not able to put his finger on it but the team sucked right now... at the exact moment they needed to be great. Even though Jake wasn't even feeling the least bit distracted right now, Adair would misunderstand what he was seeing right now to be exactly that.

Kevin Grammar threw a final strike for out number three as the team jogged in and crowded around Jake.

"I don't have anything to say. Just... let's just try to make this at least a dignified loss."

The team dispersed and Jake walked to third base, his eyes mostly down, as he pretended to be looking at his lineup but really his mind was going in a thousand other different places. Adair's comment had shaken him to his core. He was starting to wonder... did he not have control? Without even looking up he could see his team's eyes on him which worried him.

Jake knew what could happen if his kids started doubting him...

He shook the thought off as a crack sounded and the hollow sound of ball hitting wall sounded. Jake breathed a sigh of relief as he watched Parker Fox, his knight in shining armor, round the bases for a home run. They were still losing 5-1 but maybe the game could still be salvaged.