Chapter Ten: Who Do You Think You Are?

Jake woke up the next morning feeling a lot better than he had in a long time. He had his morning all planned out and it was already going better than ever. He had just taken his wife out for a surprise brunch( she loved it) and now he was on his way to his doctor's appointment with Royala, baseball practice, and then he was gonna meet up with Riley and they were both gonna visit Nick and Mackenzie. Nothing major happening with Royala- just some struggles with his asthma more recently and Royala wanted to see him. Riley wasn't worried and neither was he so Jake wasn't either. Jake stopped at a light and quickly looked at his phone as it dinged.

Hi, best, handsome, amazing husband. Thanks again for the breakfast, hunny. I loved it but I love you even more. <3 Let me know how Royala goes and have fun at practice for once!- Riley

Jake smiled and texted back a reply before he forged his car ahead.

I love YOU. C u later!! <3- Jake

Jake drove the two minutes more to Royala's clinic, parked his car, and walked to the receptionist.

"Hey, Jake. Everything alright?"

Jake had been going to Royala since he was 16 and most of his staff knew him since then. Rosa, the receptionist included.

"Yep. Just been struggling with asthma recently. Jack wanted me to check-in. We're both pretty sure it's allergies but like he always says, better safe than sorry. I should have an appointment."

"Yep. I got you right here. You know the drill," She said, laughing and pointing him toward the waiting room. Jake laughed and sat down, pulling out his phone again, scrolling for a few minutes before he got called back and placed in a room. Jack walked in a few seconds later.

"Hey, Jack," Jake said, smiling as he rubbed his hands with some hand sanitizer.

"Hey! Better look you got going here. Last time I saw you, you had tubes coming out of every orifice," He said, sitting on the stool and opening up Jake's records as he laughed. "So. What's up?"

"Just recently, sometimes my chest has been tight and I've been coughing a little but like you told me, if you're not concerned, I'm not either."

"Yeah. I'll just check it out."

Jack checked Jake's temperature and vitals before sitting down again. "I would say it's allergies and I wouldn't be surprised if you got a little cold settling in for a few days. But I'll give you some meds for the nebulizer if you need em, but I'd say you're fine."

"Thanks, Jack. I appreciate it."

"Of course. How's Nick?" he asked, as Jake got down from the table and grabbed his keys. Jake winced.

"Not great, actually. His daughter is pretty sick. Me and Ry are going to see them today so hopefully, I can give you some good news."

"Please do. Alright, Jake. Rosa will see you out. Have a good day and tell Nick of my good wishes for his daughter."

"Will do. Thanks again, Jack."

Jake parked his car and went to his trunk to grab the bucket of balls and his bat and glove, making his way up to the field. He had told Luke he had a doctor's appointment and was gonna be late and he hoped to god he had actually shown up today. As Jake neared the field and saw his head, he sighed in relief. He settled himself in the dugout and then went out to the outfield to see Luke hitting the outfielder's fly balls while... the infielders stood and watched? Parker saw Jake and waved which caught the attention of Windimere.

"Finally decided to show up?" he called, hitting another ball that Jake knew was way too hard hit for this level.

"I texted you. I had a doctor's appointment. You knew I was gonna be late," Jake bit back. "What have... the infielders done?"