Chapter Nineteen: Senior Day

Jake was putting the finishing touches on his speech for the senior day game later when there was a knock on his door.

    "Come in," Jake said, without looking up. "Oh. Hey, 22. What's up? Don't mind me. Just feeling nostalgic for the seniors," He finished, laughing.

    "I wanted to apologize to you, " Parker said, coming into Jake's office as he shut the door.

    "For what, 22?" Jake asked, confused as he put his pencil down, devoting his full undivided attention to his shortstop.

    "For what I told Principal Adair. I was only trying to help but I should have listened to Dainn, I only made things worse. I-"

    "Parker," Jake got up and sat on the edge of his desk, looking at his player. "I'm not mad at you. Well, let's face it. I was at first but I finally acknowledged that I was just angry that I wasn't the first one to handle the situation. I was embarrassed, I am embarrassed that someone else had to handle it. I appreciate it, 22. I really do."

    "But I feel like I made everything worse."

Jake laughed before he shook his head. "The only thing worse than what you did? Is not doing it all. Now, go out to the field and get those signs hung up. Let's have a stellar senior day, okay? Get all this stuff out your pretty little head, 22."

    Jake gave him a hug before he left and Jake sighed, wondering if he could take his own advice.

    They had been there all night, Nick slept most of the time, and Mackenzie fell asleep with him. Still no news on Sav. But finally, finally, at 7am this morning, Royala walked into the waiting room as Mac shook her husband awake.

    "What, what?" Nick asked, sitting up as he noticed Jack. "Jack, how's my girl?"

Mac smiled at her husband. "Such a girl dad," She thought. "And the best one at that."

    "We found the source of the problem. She's just got an UTI, Nick."

    "Wait, what?"

    "Yeah, so I'll give some meds and you guys can get out of here in time for senior day."

    "You know?" Nick asked with a smile.

    "Of course I do," He said, giving Nick a gentle punch in the arm. "You and Jake are the talk of the valley. Well, anyway, I'd like to keep her for another hour to make sure the meds work but I'm confident you guys can go home."

    "Where's that other doctor, Jack? Dr... Pearle I think his name was?" Mac asked.

    "Oh. Uh, let's not talk about that. Let's just get Sav treated and get some senior day festivities in, okay? Good. See you all soon."

Luke walked into the room and grabbed the phone as Rick Lane was brought to sit in front of him as he grabbed his own phone on his side of the glass.

    "What?"

    "Senior day," Luke said, simply. "It's the first game they are being coached by the dynamic duo totally in charge," he spat. "I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried everything."

And he had. When it came to baseball, Nick Zaminski and Jake Wolff were smart.

But what if it wasn't...

    "What do you mean what if it wasn't?" Rick said as Luke spit his idea out. "How do you know this?"

Luke pulled out his phone and pressed it up against the glass as his uncle smiled his toothy grin.

    "Now that... is something Jake Wolff won't know how to handle."

Jake took his paper, smiled at Nick and made his way to the podium on home plate, Adair barely even giving him a look. He ignored it.

    "Wow. I... don't think I've ever been more sad in my life," he said, as he looked at the five seniors. "Because I've never had so much to lose."

Jake took a look at Nick before starting the speech that had taken hours to write:

    "Kevin. Frank. Logan. Wayne. Vincent. I've had the privilege to be your coach for the past three years but man, life is short. One day you're 15 and a freshman in high school hoping someone will ask you to the dance and before you know it, your time's up and you're a senior taking your diploma at the stage. Or your last throws on the ball field. You're doing your best to still keep in touch with your friends as you get ready for the next chapter but still holding tightly to the present one. Life is too damn short, guys. So, I tell you this: kiss the pretty girls you like while the lights are low and she smells like vanilla, confess your love to someone even if you don't think it will change anything, rid your life of toxic people even if you thought they would be around you for forever. Be brutally honest. Life is too short for arguments, no forgiveness, and college buckets full of memories.. Or... vomit. Life is too short for being in love with someone or something that you don't know. These days go by fast and the seniors can tell you underclassmen the truth. The world is getting worse and people are dying. Love your life while you still can. We never listened to our parents when they said we'd want these days back but trust me, as I stand up here staring at you all here today, I wish I was still 15 and bright eyed and bushy tailed wanting nothing more than to be where I am now. And trust me, I've had my fair share of struggles. I think we don't talk about the feeling of not feeling good enough... well, enough. Never feeling like what we give is enough because we are always people who need to give more effort than is actually needed. We don't talk about how much we've sacrificed... and how dangerous it is. Cause I don't want to keep getting sappy, I'll tell you all this. Seniors, and the rest of this team. Nick. You're my home team. It's the people we call when we get a flat tire or when something terrible happens. It's the people who, near or far, know everything that's wrong with you and love you anyways. These people are the ones who tell you their secrets, who get themselves a glass of water without asking when they're at your house. These are the people who cry when you cry. These are your people, your middle-of-the-night, no-matter-what people. Congratulations, seniors. I'll cherish this time I had with you always."

    Thunderous applause sounded as Jake returned to his seat and hugged every one of the seniors and Nick.

    "Great speech, my friend. I couldn't have done it better if I tried," Nick said, in the middle of the hug. Jake just smiled at him.

Brennan ended up winning the senior day game to a final score of 12-3. Jake was so happy that they walked away with the win. He couldn't have been prouder of his team, especially the seniors on their day. There was food after the game and after the fist bumps, hugs, and remarks about his speech again, Jake made his way over to Nick under the pavilion. As he walked up, his back to him, Jake placed his hand on Nick's shoulder.

    "Hey! Whatcha looking at it? Nick?"

Jake's expression turned to one of concern when he noticed Nick didn't react to him.

Nick just handed him the paper he was holding and Jake's stomach dropped into his shoes.