Chapter 14

Chapter 14
Rowan's POV

I have no idea why I was so exhausted yesterday. When I took that nap I woke up two hours later in Ace's arms. Since he was somehow still awake we decided to just cuddle for another hour and then I took him on a tour of my roomy cabin. The rest of the day was spent talking about random things in front of the fireplace in the living room and then we ate and took a dip in the hot tub (Ace was surprised to learn that our Natural World has electricity and that we have modern things).

We didn't fall asleep until around midnight last night because we were talking again. Even if I woke up earlier than Ace -I woke up around seven- I am not tired at all. If anything, I'm more energized than normal, which is very strange. It might be because I slept without dreams or nightmares. It might be because I was in Ace's arms while I was asleep. I don't know what happened to make me sleep so well, but I hope the rest of my nights happen like they did last night.

Now Ace and I sit on my back porch, sipping on our respective favorite tastes of coffee (mine nearly black of course while Ace had put a bunch of sugar and some milk in his) while we watch the sun rise over the treetops. It's a peaceful morning with not a cloud in the sky and the forest teeming with life around and a bit below us.

"It's a beautiful morning," Ace remarks quietly after he takes a long drink of his coffee and sets it down on the little table between us. I nod my head in agreement, not wishing to disturb the lovely sound of a birds' song being uttered from not too far away. A moment of silence passes before Ace speaks again. "When does the Colonel want us to meet?"

"In two hours," I almost whisper, "I believe."

"You believe?" Ace raises an eyebrow as he turns his head to look at me. I look at him out of the corner of my eye and take a sip of my coffee. Once done I answer.

"Avery has not said otherwise."

"Why isn't the Colonel contacting you?"

I shrug. "I do not know." Ace frowns and looks away from me, staring off in to the distance. His mind is on something else; it's obvious by the glaze to his eyes. I continue to stare at him, wondering what he could be thinking in that sharp mind of his.

"How long have you know Avery?" He suddenly asks.

"Since she came to Crystal Valley two years ago."

Another beat of silence. This time it's longer than the first time and when a sudden thought occurs to me I break it.

"Ace, are you doubting Avery's word?" He doesn't answer, which answers my question more than anything else. "I understand why you have trust issues, but Avery is completely trustworthy. She may be a bit mysterious, but she has never gone back on her word and commits herself to not telling lies." I set my coffee down on the table and put a hand on Ace's shoulder. He finally faces me, his facial expression neutral. "We can trust her Ace, I promise."

Ace nods slowly, but I can see in his eyes still a bit of doubt. I don't bother saying anything else though, since I hear footsteps coming this way. A breeze ruffles my hair and with it brings the smell of Avery's unique scent. The beating of wings sounds before we see her, and then in her natural form she flies over the house, turns a hundred an eight degrees, and lands on the landing deck. I pick up my coffee and quickly finish it then set the empty mug back on the table.

I will take us there if you two are ready, Avery says. Nodding, I stand from the chair. Ace gets up slowly and then takes my hand, squeezing it gently. I squeeze his back and then lead him over to Avery. She wears a saddle that looks much like the one I wore yesterday, but hers looks a bit more worn. And even though Avery is smaller than me when we're in both our natural forms, she lays down on her stomach for us to be able to climb easier on.