Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Our Queen is coming at ten am, which now is an hour away. Gabriel or as I like to call him, Gabbie, will be at our house at one pm.

Since Amy is a lot calmer now since all of us have reassured her a thousand times, she has made breakfast for us. It consists of a yummy orange cinnamon rolls and bacon -on Avery's request- and our choice of morning beverage.

"So Avery," I start up after I finish my glass of milk, "do you know what the theme for the Dance is?"

She shakes her head, setting down her fork on her napkin since she is done eating now. "I do not know, but there are rumors that it will be masquerade."

"Huh." I place my chin on my knuckles, bitting my lower lip. "What other rumors are there? There has to be more, there always is."

"Dragonette is rumored to be coming. And so is Amanda Blueblood." She pauses, eyes swimming with emotions that I can't read. "There is another rumor, but it's insignificant."

Something tells me that it's not as insignificant as she says. "Tell me," I demand.

"Are you sure you want to hear it?"

"Is it that bad?" Avery nods and I sigh. "Just get it over with."

"Yearn will be coming later in the night. That is not a rumor."

I suck in a quiet breath, tensing up at just the name. My vision seems to tunnel on a spot on the wall above Avery's head.

Not him. No, I-

Yearn Fire. The founder of the R.A.C.E. program. When I was inducted into the program, he found every excuse to demean and bully me. He never got along with my parents, for he wanted the General when my father was alive. It seemed as if his hatred for my parents was passed onto me after their death.

The reason why I'm partially afraid of him? One time, during my most vulnerable state, he tried to take advantage of the state and me. A male dragon, who I still don't know the name of today, stopped Yearn before he could do too much damage. But it had a lasting imprint on me still.

"Rowan!" I finally snap out of it when Avery screams right into my ear. My eyes, which are wide, move slowly over to her fearful expressioned face. Her hand touches my shoulder and squeezes it. "He will not come within five hundred feet of you."

"Promise?" I whisper.

"I promise. The Queen will be informed as well."

Sighing, I drop my head and catch my panting breath. Slowly I stand then look back up at Avery who still looks concerned. "Let's go change."

She nods, and I don't meet Roderick or Amy's gaze as we walk towards my room.

When we step into my room, I relax. Since Avery woke up earlier then me this morning, she lit my last lavender scented incense on my nightstand as I was still sleeping. Lavender has a calming effect on all dragons, for some weird, scientifically explained reason.

Knowing Avery has a better fashion sense than me, I sit on my bed and relax, just staring at my ceiling and letting the incense clear my muddled brain. Avery sifts through my dresser, murmuring along as she goes. "You don't own many skirts."

"Only because they're put up for the season," I inform.

"Ah."

"You won't find any dresses either unless you look in the laundry room."

"Bummer. I guess we'll just have to go with nice pants, then." Out of the corner of my eye I see her throw a pile of clothes my way, and I catch it smoothly before they hit me in the head. I nod my approval when I see what she picked. A white button up with dark red and black floral printed jeggings.