The Big News

One day, I was eating breakfast at the dinning room(there's one big dinning room for all of us)with Junior and Dad next to me. Mom was sleeping in since she had a late night party last night and there were a bunch of other people that I didn't know the names of. To you it might feel a bit strange to eat your breakfast around people you don't know, but I got used to it a long time ago.

I sighed with satisfaction and asked, "May I please be excused?"

Dad said yes and I went to my room and put on my headphones. I listened to my playlist until I couldn't help but sing along and dance to the beat. But when I was right in the middle of singing, "And do the weekend whip!" Junior came in a made me quiet down.

"The other serpentine are complaining." he explained. "You're music's up way too loud and your little play by play isn't helping."

I turned my phone off and sighed. I sat down on my bed with my arms crossed. My annoying scorpion tail got caught on my sheets and I accidentally threw them and myself across the room.

"What's going on in there?" asked Mom's voice. And or course, she had to open my door and check it out. When she saw me and my sheets on the ground, she was not happy.

After I finally got my bed made again, I went down and got an apple for a snack. Just as I was sitting down to eat, my dad spat out his coffee right at Juniors face. His face dribbled of dark chocolate latte.

I laughed. "That's what you get, you snitch!" I called out. 

"Sami!" Mom gasped. "You call that table manners?"

I hunched my shoulders in embarrassment. "Sorry, Mom."

"Well, it's a good thing nobody else is here." Mom turned back to Dad. "What made you so surprised, Darling?" she asked.

"It's this letter," he answered. "Look."

When Mom read the letter, she spat out her vanilla latte right at my face.

Junior laughed this time. He stuck his tongue out and called out, "Sucker!"

Mom glared at him and he took his seat again.

"Sami, look at this!" She handed me the letter and I would have spat out my latte too, if I liked lattes. I was more of a cappuccino girl. The letter said:

Dear Mrs.Samitana Skales Snakebite,

We, the Ninjago City University, are proud to announce that you shall be our first serpentine student! I understand that you have never left the comfort of your home before and you are still very young, so we will understand if you do not want to come. But we really do hope that you will become a new and much needed addition to our schools.

Signed, Cyrus Borg of Ninjago City.

I almost didn't realize I was reading out loud. As I read the last words, I dropped the letter and fell to the ground.

"Well that was not the reaction I thought we would get." Mom remarked in surprise.