Part 5

Kate's POV:

Y/n motions for me to follow her out the Quinjet so I do so. We run to our positions and stay low to the ground. "This is your first mission ever, keep yourself safe. If you require any assistance simply holler for me."

"Right, thank you," I try to concentrate but something behind her piques my interest. Something is moving in the bushes. "Watch out!" I quickly aim an arrow at the body behind her as it begins discharging ammunition. I get a bullseye then I push Y/n out of the way and roll myself over.

"Close call. Thank you, Kate," Y/n smiles, I feel the heat rise to my cheeks so I look down to cover my face. Why have I gotten so flustered?

"Anytime," I give her a friendly smile back. A group of opponents run out and I start firing arrows at them. I glimpse at where Y/n was but she has disappeared. Fuck, did she get taken? All of a sudden, someone jumps out from a tree onto the group of enemies. Y/n! She envelops her legs around someone's neck and falls to the ground. She beats the shit out of them as I watch in astonishment.

"Missed me?" Y/n chuckles as she watches me. She wipes some blood from her chin and slowly walks over to me. She takes her middle and index finger and slowly closes my mouth. "Nows not the time to be gawking over me, Bishop," she whispers against my lips. Is she flirting? No, she won't be. She doesn't date.

We proceed into the building taking turns killing the rivals that run up to us. "Watch out!" Y/n yells at me. In a sudden movement, she wraps her arms around my waist and holds me closely, turning our bodies together. She takes a deep breath threw her teeth in pain.

"What happened!?" I panic at her impulsive reaction.

"Just a small bullet. Nothing much," she says, letting out a dry chuckle.

"Why'd you do that for me?" I query confusedly.

"We're teammates. Not to mention friends," she becomes aware of our position and lets me go.

"T-thank you," I feel my cheeks go flushed again so I stay looking at the wall.

"Let's progress," she says, dashing off in a direction. I smile to myself and then follow after her.

We arrive at the room and we see the files. "File retrieved," Y/n says over comms.

"Anyone hurt?" Yelena checks.

"We're all good here," Y/n flashes me a smile.

I put my hand over my ear, "liar. You got shot!"

"Barely," Y/n chuckles at my worried state.

"Enough flirting, head to the Qunjet for crying out loud. I'm bored," Bruce yells over comms.

"Not flirting," Y/n corrects. "Over and out," Y/n rolls her eyes and faces me. "Let's go back now."

She walks toward me and we start walking out. We hear a faint explosion and Y/n quickly turns comms on, "We are not out yet! I repeat, we are not out yet!"

"Not us, hurry your asses up!" Clint yells.

Y/n runs to me and grabs my hand. She starts charging towards the exit when an explosion happens in front of us putting rubble in front of the exit. Y/n looks up and sees a hole in the roof. "Get on my shoulders."

"Are you crazy? What would you do to get out?" I yell at her.

"Get on my bloody shoulders!" She demands at me. I hesitantly ascend onto her shoulders and she pushes me up.

"Grab my hand!" I shout down at her.

"Kate, if you don't escape right now I am going to fire you," Y/n warns me. I gulp and leave. As soon as I get to the edge Tony flies over to me.

"Where's Y/ln?" Tony nervously queries.

"She wouldn't let me help her out! She's still there!" I cry out, holding in my tears.

"I'll get her. Sam, get Kate to the jet," Tony takes charge and flies away. I've never seen this side of Tony. Well, I've known him for less than two days. Sam flies over to me and brings me to the jet.

Wanda rushes towards me with her eyes glowing red. "What did you do to Y/n?"

"I didn't do anything, I promise. Only one of us could get out and she refused for it to be her. Why does she care so much about me?" I sniffle to hold my tears back.

"She does care for you, doesn't she?" Nat says in a sort of sad tone.

"Yeah..." I never realised it before, two bullets she's taken for me. One metaphorically, one physically. Tony flies into the jet with Y/n in his arms, she's passed out.

"Y/n!" Wanda exclaims and stands up from her seat.

"Sit, we're taking off," Clint orders Wanda and Tony.

"Fine," Wanda sighs.

"Aye, aye!" Tony lays Y/n on the seat next to me and he sits next to Wanda to calm her down.

I stare at Y/n the whole ride with heartache deep inside my soul. She tried so hard to protect me and I couldn't do it once. I'm an awful Avenger. Oh, god.

We arrive home and I head straight to my room. Y/n is brought to Bruce's clinic. I begin packing when I hear a familiar voice behind me. "Packing so early?" Y/n...?

I turn around and it's her, "Y/n!" I run over to her and tightly hug her. She grunts softly. "Sorry, sorry." I start pulling away but she pulls me back.

"It's okay, I just got startled. Stay," she softly sighs, coddling her face in the side of my neck.

"Okay," I hug closer to her. I feel warm.

We hear a wolf whistle behind us but when we check no one is there. "Probably Wanda or Yelena. Maybe Tony," she turns back to me. We lock eyes for a moment. She closes her eyes and leans in, closing the gap between us. I'm surprised when I softly feel her lips on mine.