CHAPTER 8: BARE MINIMUM (EDITED)

A/n: The prev chapters were all flashbacks btw but this is current so Naruto's 12.

tw: slight sasuke & not slight sakura bashing, get out if you don't like it.

────

Hiruzen Sarutobi found himself caught in a dilemma. If Kitsune's report was true, then Danzo's next target would be Sasuke, as his Uchiha Massacre plan had failed. The old war hawk was proving to be troublesome, and Hiruzen had reached his limit. He had been contemplating a solution for a while, but various problems kept arising, diverting his attention away from his plan.

"Kitsune!"

"Yes, Hokage-sama?"

"I am assigning you a long-term mission within the village as Uchiha Sasuke's bodyguard. Your primary objective is to protect him at all costs. Additionally, I want you to make friends with him as part of your mission." This way, Sasuke would be protected while also fostering a connection with Naruto.

Naruto removed his mask and replied, "You are aware that children are also affected by the demon-hating mentality, right?"

"You will be placed on a team led by Kakashi Hatake, with Uchiha Sasuke as your teammate. The third member will be chosen randomly. The genin exams are taking place tomorrow," Hiruzen stated, disregarding the Fox's last remark.

"So, you're saying I'll be a genin for years and babysit weak genins?"

"You will remain a genin until after the Chunin Exams. After that, you will have the choice to reveal your heritage and your position."

"When are the Chunin Exams?"

"Probably in five months," Hiruzen replied.

Naruto sighed, "Fine. Just enroll me." He shook his head, thinking about how fortunate the old man should be to be the Hokage.

"Thank you," Hiruzen expressed his gratitude.

"Right."

The next day arrived, and Naruto made his way towards the Academy, brushing off the glares and intentionally dulling his heightened senses to avoid hearing hurtful whispers. He was dressed in a traditional Japanese outfit, designed for battle. The color scheme of his kimono, black and red, could easily lead others to mistake him for a villain. Not that they didn't already perceive him as one. Underneath his kimono, he wore a plain red yukata, while a black kimono jacket with a red sash tied around his waist completed his ensemble. The Uzumaki swirl adorned both sides of the kimono jacket at the front, not overly prominent. At the back of his kimono, a sleeping fox with its nine tails guarded the kanji for 'nine.' This was his outfit when he removed his cloak.

Upon arrival, Naruto noticed that only one student was present, likely because it was early. He chose to sit at the very back, ignoring the questioning gaze from the boy with the duck-like hairstyle.

'How is he in this class? Is he lost? I've never seen him before,' the boy wondered, unintentionally glaring at the blond.

"Are you infatuated with me, mister? Please refrain from staring at me like that," Naruto awkwardly remarked.

"Why are you here?" the boy inquired.

Naruto stared at him with a deadpan expression. "What? Isn't this a classroom? Naturally, I'm here to learn. What else would you suggest? Committing acts of violence? Naruto deadpanned inwardly, thinking, I'd be cosplaying as Itachi if that were the case.

"I've never seen you before. Shouldn't you be in the first grade?" the boy persisted.

"That stuff is boring," Naruto waved off the suggestion dismissively.