Chapter 19

Marissa

The wedding was over and our time off from school ended in a flash.

I was back on campus starting a new semester. I was almost finished with my project for the competition and everything was running smoothly it almost felt too good to be true.

I received an odd text from Jeremy's father asking me to meet him for lunch.

Mr. Manning and I barely conversed so I was very nervous for our encounter.

He stood to greet me and I sat down across from him in the little coffee shop near campus.

The waiter came over to us and took our orders before moving off to retrieve them.

He eyed my every movement.

"Is there a reason for this meet up?"

"We have a lot to discuss, but I'd like to do so while we have lunch," he answered.

"Okay," I agreed eyeing him warily.

My stomach was in knots as I took small nibbles of my sandwich.

"I know about you and my son," he began.

I finally tore my disinterested eyes away from my sandwich to look up at his cold grey ones.

He looked so much like Jeremy.

"What?"

"I know you're sleeping with my son. I saw you two at the wedding kissing on the beach. I need you to end whatever the hell you two are doing."

I pushed my plate away and folded my hands on the table, a nervous habit I couldn't break.

"We're grown, you can't tell us what to do."

He inhaled and exhaled as if he's annoyed, "Actually I can and if you care about him you'll do exactly as I say."

I laughed in disbelief, "I'm leaving Mr. Manning, have a good day."

I stood up and as soon as I did his threats started stumbling from his lips.

"I'm going to cut Jeremy off. Allowance, paying his tuition, I'll take away his cars and stop paying for his sports gears. Is that what you want?"

He was guilt tripping.

"You wouldn't do that."

"I would."

I thought quickly, searching my mind for solutions.

If he were to apply for financial aid they would never grant it because his parents are wealthy, if he were to get a job then between his job and football he would never have time for me. If he were to quit sports and focus solely on school, he'd still be unhappy because he loves football more than the air he breathes.

My face must've expressed my defeat because he smirked at my hesitation.

"You went through every possible option in your head and with each one you realize that it's best you comply."