9 ~ Royal Revelation

"The Prince has an urgent announcement. He demands that every icewing in the palace attend to the royal courtyard at sunset." The Prince's main advisor said. Snowflake felt hollow. He hadn't even begun his job. The one dragon he was assigned to protect was dead. And nobody knew what happened.

It was sunset within a blink of an eye. Snowflake was at the front next to his fellow first circle icewings. Everyone was nervous as a penguin that got seperated from its flock.

Snowflake wore his royal armor. The opalescent iron plates shimmered like diamonds. He held a twisted spear in his talon. He stood rigid as a statue. As always, his palms vibrated with energy. It was an afterthought to him now. The concept of magic seemed so very far deep in his mind. It was the least of his worries at the moment. The Queen was dead and there was no heir.

"Psst. Snowflake. Behind you." It was Shiver. She had a silver necklace laced around her throat. Snowflake turned his head and gave her a sideways glance, as did the elderly icewing next to him. His beady black eyes landed on the three rings that dangled beneath her chest.

"You should know better than to address him like that!" The old dragon hissed. Shiver managed not to roll her eyes, but she wrinkled her snout at the scornful icewing.

"My apologies, but I must speak to him this instant." She reluctantly bowed her head to both of them. Satisfied, the old icewings looked away.

"Shiver, what do you need me for?"

"You're a royal guard in training, do you know what happened?"She whispered.

"Not really, I only know that she's been... assassinated."

"Assassinated? By who? And why?" She gasped. Her silver nose ring twitched as she jumped.

"I don't know, I'm sure the Prince will clear everything up."

"He's the only royal icewing left. There is no heir. What will he do, suggest a new queen? The highest ranking female? Permafrost isn't pleasant, I would hate for her to be Queen." Shiver growled lowly.

"It will likely happen. We have no other choice." Snowflake sighed and returned to his spot. Shiver opened her mouth to say something, but shook her head and slipped away into the muttering crowd.

Right on time, Prince Storm now stood on a balcony above the courtyard. The gathered dragons went quiet, anxious to hear his words.

"Yes, the Queen is dead." Instant panic and sorrowful wails echoed amongst the frozen walls. The melancholy song rang into the dusk sky. The first stars began to dimly twinkle in the twilight.

I'm not dreaming, she really is dead. Snowflake thought, and likely thousands of other icewings.

"Silence! I would like a moment of peace for our late ruler!" It was as if a curtain of snow blanketed the courtyard as all the dragons closed their jaws and looked at the violet sky. "A wise leader, a brave war hero, a caring mother. Many things can describe Queen Fringe. She deserved all her titles and praise. She worked nonstop, missing sleep as she organized the rankings and keeping the peace with other tribes. We will all mourn for her. As tradition, she will be immortalized in the royal graveyard next to her frozen ancestors."

"Her cause of death was not a pleasant one. She was assassinated by rebels shortly after the dragonet ranking ceremony. The leader of the rebellion was the fourth circle's instructor known as Glint, who had history with sabotaging low-ranking dragonets and lying in court. He and other rebels have been arrested and will be tried for treason." The Prince declared with fury, not bothering to hide his emotions.

There were gasps and murmers in the crowd. Snowflake knew why Glint did it. He was angry that the Queen allowed Snowflake, an icewing born in the sixth circle, was moved to the first.

The Queen wanted a word with him and the council after the ceremony. What happened? Was he punished somehow? This past month, had he been planning for revenge?

"I know everyone is wondering who the next Queen should be. Obviously, I cannot take the throne. I never had any sisters or cousins. But... I have a confession." He signed. The tribe leaned forward with ears perked. A confession? Now? What could it be?

"I had a forbidden relationship behind my mother's back..." He signed, looking to a large icewing besides him. Jewls and silk draped across her white body. A pained expression scorned her mouth.

"Storm? What do you mean forbidden? I'm married to you, you're royalty! You should know better! Why are you confessing about this rigtht now? We don't need any more royal drama!" It was Permafrost, the Prince's mate, and the highest ranking non-royal icewing. Her teeth were tightly crunched together in a vicious snarl.

"Because it's important. Permafrost, I'm sorry. I never loved you. Betrothals never work. Even my mother disliked the King. I met someone else. She was my servant. A beautiful icewing like none other. I still remember how she looked at me. Not as a political figure, but as a dragon. As me."

"You're surrounded by thousands of icewings, that's enough of your yammering! I get that you're mourning your loved ones, but there must be a new Queen! And everyone knows who it should be..." She hissed. "I'm the highest ranking icewing. I outrank you. Perhaps it isn't too late for dragonets. The origional royal line can continue, no problem!"

"There is a problem, Permafrost!" The Prince flared his wings. He was about two heads taller than the arrogant white dragon. She snarled at his display of dominance. "You would be an awful, selfish Queen. You've always been spoiled and greedy, and besides, I have another dragon that could be Queen. One with royal blood!"

"You don't mean it, NO!" Permafrost roared.

His relationship, did he have dragonets? Does he have a daughter? A secret heir?

"I'm sorry, Permafrost. But there is still an heir the the throne. She is my daughter, and therefore a legitimate heir to the throne!" The courtyard erupted into shouts and yelling with Permafrort screeching in Prince Storm's face.

"She doesn't know anything about royal life! I have experience! This tribe needs somebody who is wise and strong! We don't even know who she is!" Permafrost snarled. The Prince glared at her with hooded blue eyes.

"Oh, but you do know who she is. In fact, she's here right now..." The Prince made eye contact with a dragon in the crowd. Snowflake could not see the mystery Princess, but for a moment, he saw a familiar flash of color in the crowd.

"I would like to announce that my daughter, Princess Skua of the Icewings, will be our new Queen!"