10 ~ A Change

But... impossible... she would've known! Snowflake's jaw was clenched and his heart thudded. His claws shook. The hum in his talons stung his palms.

Numerous icewings parted out the way for the lavender dragon. She stood out amongst the white and blue icewings gathered into he courtyard. She was unique, a beautiful, dazzling gem. And with just a few words from the Prince, she's worth more than every gem in this kingdom.

Skua was stiffer than a pillar of ice. She looked the most surprised of all. One talon clung to her woven necklace. The dark purple freckles twinkled like stars in the dimming light.

Permafrost howled with laughter, slamming her tail against the palivon. Her greedy blue eyes flashed dangerously.

"Her, a princess? Don't be silly, she can't be related to you, she looks nothing like you! She doesn't look like anyone!" She hissed, her neck awry and snout wrinkled with discust.

"Skua, what was your mother's name?" Storm asked the still paralyzed icewing. Her mouth moved, but she couldn't muster the words. Eventually, she took a deep breath and spoke.

"Silver."

"Silver."

They both spoke at the same time. For a long moment, Storm and Skua held each other's gaze.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful dragon. I was there when you hatched. That feather on your necklace was a gift from me after a skua bird flew overhead and shed it. I felt ashamed for hiding such a secret from my family, but I couldn't be more proud to call you my daughter." Storm's words were soft and gentle, very uncharacteristic of him. Skua looked down at her feet.

"She always told me that one day you'll come meet me, that you were always watching. She never told me that I was... well, royal."

"You are. The secret is out and throne is rightfully yours, if you want it." Storm swept his wings aside, allowing the icewing crown to be in full view. Everyone was shocked. Permafrost was no longer angry, but completely speechless as well.

"If you take this crown, me and so many other icewings will work hard to shape you into the perfect Queen. You'll learn all you need to know from us, but only if this is what you desire. Just like any other princess, you have the right to refuse the throne, your title, or both. It's your choice."

Skua's claws tore the ice bricks under her. It was obvious by her expression that she was conflicted. Anyone would be astonished if a royal claimed you as the next heir tk the throne.

She's stuck with an impossible choice, to be the next Queen or continue her life, letting Permafrost be the next ruler. She needs help, I need to help her!

Snowflake's talons moved in their own as his mind raced. He made his decision. Whoever was the next Queen he would give his life to. But... if Skua was Queen, he would give it his all like never before. He would defend her till his last breath, even if she didn't take the throne.

So he stood there before the alter with the perfect posture of a royal guard. He felt eyes burrow into his white scales as he stood in between Skua and the crown. Before he knew it, he felt the snow shift around his feet. He saw shadows move in the corner of his eye and felt a new presence beside him. Then, more. All of the royal guards, standing in two lines facing each other, creating a pathway to the crown.

There were murmers in the crowd, but eventually, they gave Skua encouraging words, showing their support. Even thought Snowflake couldn't look as he stood in his position, but he could still see the glimmering lavender scales pass by him, the very same scales he would look at every day in the outer villages as they would play together in the snow as small dragonets, chasing each other's tail and starting snowball fights.

Now there she was, standing before the icewing crown. He could feel her reddish eyes grace his body. He wanted to look, to tell her that everything was going to be okay, but somehow, she probably already knew that just by looking at him.

They were always going to be there for each other, no matter what.

Skua's talons were hesitant yet steady as she lifted the heavy crown from its pedestal. The silver headpiece was decorated with lavish diamonds dangling from the twisted medal. She turned around to face the crowd that was anxiously awaiting her next move.

Lifting the crown above her, she gently rested it between her horns, settling the glimemring crown down on her head.

Immediately, there was a response from the icewings. They cheered and clapped, icewings of all ranks whooped with joy. Snowflake dared move in his position ever so slightly to peer at the his new Queen. Skua red eyes were glossy as she held the Skua feather in between her talons.

She noticed him looking, and she smiled back. Snowflake broke his position and bowed with his chin touching the ground. Immediately, his comrades followed suite. Icewings in the courtyard also copied their movements, of course, some more hesitant than others. Storm himself bowed before turning to the crowd.

"Behold, the new Queen of the icewings, Queen Skua!"