7 ~ Seventh Birthday

Skua didn't speak. She didn't make eye contact, only flying off once she knew Snowflake was safe. He was exhausted and watched the lavender dragonet glide away next to the glittering stars.

He walked back home, following the river bank. He hardly remembered what happened, only that Skua save his life... but why did she fly away? Was she scared of something? Of... him?

My claws. The ice. By the moons, what did I do? He froze in his tracks as his head snot down to his talons.

The next few week were agonizing. Moraine was busy and Suka didn't talk to him. She would pass glances, but nothing more.

Snowflake tied together his chain jewelry and draped the silver around his neck. He even had extra to put around one of his horns. He promised he'd wear them.for the first time on a special occasion... such as today.

Today was the day. It was his seventh birthday, and it was also the day of the monthly ranking ceremony. Today, he would be given his rings and assigned a spot in the adult rankings. The day that will decide the rest of his life.

Moraine and Skua's birthdays were a month after Snowflake's and they would likely move to the fourth with him.

The fourth circle. I've made it! He thought gleefully while lining up. Many icewings from his village had attended the ceremony.

Like usual, Prince Storm began rearranging icewings of the first circle into their respective dragonet rankings along with the occasional ring passing. Some icewings gained their rings and moved to join their parents. Snowflake felt his chest swirl with anxiety.

I've done good this month. It's very possible I'll move to the top of the fourth! Snowflake grinned. His daydreams took over his mind. He was living outside the palace walls with Skua and Moraine. They each had a luxurious homes with ice walls and thick pelt beds. The clean ice brick streets ran through the kingdom and their claws tapped on the floor. Their heads were held high, no longer needing to bow to nearly every icewing they met. No longer would they be in the lower circles bowing to the upper class. High society called their names.

"Snowflake," Storm hissed. The young icewing froze, his daydream instantly fading. The prince's dark eyes studied him, unmoving and cold.

"Today, you will be placed in the adult rankings based on your final assessment." Storm looked at a talonfull of notes besides him and glanced at the ranking rings sparsely laid out on a nearby table. Snowflake felt dizzy as he glanced at the silver and gold rings.

"I've recived your reports of your progress and decided to move you ..." Storm paused and gripped the ranking book. Snowflake's ears were perked. The moment I've been waiting for my entire life. It's happening! He braced himself for the prince's next words, yet not expecting what would happen next.

"Back to the fifth circle." Immediately, there were gasps and roars of protest from the crowd. Even his fellow dragonets were stunned, especially the fourth circle. Shiver was looking back and fourth between the Prince and another icewing with fury crinkled on her snout. Pewter was grinning maniacally.

Did he... say the fifth? What- Snowflake found the other icewing Shiver was glaring at. It was one of his instructors, Glint. The cranky icewing that pitted him againt Pewter during his first day of training. A sly smile itched its way across his face.

What has he done?

"I've recived word that your performance has been rather lackluster. Your fighting skills hardly improved and your hunting trips were sparse. You've won some fights, yet your embarrassing loss againt the fourth circle's champion, Pewter, has forced me to bring you back down to the top fifth circle, where you will stay as an adult."