Chapter 2

You get out of bed to look for some food before you leave. You find a banana, bread, and butter. You decide that toast and a banana will have to do.

You grab your keys and jacket and start to leave. Before you get to the door, you turn around and realize you forgot the questions you're supposed to ask. You quickly grab them then leave, locking the door behind you. You get in your car and start to drive to the asylum.

You arrive at the asylum and begin to walk inside, your palms incredibly sweaty from nervousness. Barney - the head orderly for the maximum security wing of the asylum - takes your jacket to hang up, and walks with you to find Dr. Chilton. Shortly after, you find Dr. Chilton. He acknowledges you and gets right to the point. "It's so rare to capture a live one. From a research point of view, Dr. Lecter is our most prized asset..." He explains. You hand him the ID Crawford gave you. He looks up from your card and smiles, stroking your card with his beloved gold pen.

"You know, we get a lot of detectives here. But I must say, I can't ever remember one so attractive..." He states, eyeing you up and down. You scoff at his remark. "Will you be in Baltimore overnight? Because this can be quite a fun town, if you have the right guide." He leans towards you, grinning disturbingly. You try your hardest to hide your distaste for him. "I'm sure it's a great town, Dr. Chilton. But my instructions are to talk to Lecter and report back this afternoon." You answer.

"I see. Let's make this quick, then. I'm busy." he says sourly.

You continue walking down the hall. You flinch as the heavy steel gate clangs shut behind you. Dr. Chilton starts walking in front of you. He starts telling you stuff about Lecter, mostly stuff you've already researched. "Lecter carved up nine people that were sure of, and cooked his favorite bits. We've tried to study him, of course, but he's much too sophisticated for the standard tests. And oh my, does he hate us! He thinks I'm his nemesis... Crawford's very clever, isn't he? Using you?" He explains.

"How do you mean, Dr. Chilton?" You tilt your head in confusion.

"A pretty young woman, to turn him on? I don't believe Lecter has ever seen a woman in eight years. And are you ever his taste, so to speak." He says. I feel my cheeks flush red. "Why is this making me blush?" You think to yourself, then shake the thought away. You start telling Dr. Chilton about your schooling. "I graduated magna from UVA, Doctor. It's not a charm school." You say.

"Good. Then you should be able to remember the rules." You arrive in the lowest part of the asylum. It's dark and even grimier than the other wings. You can hear the other psychopaths screaming and banging from here. "Do not reach through the bars. You pass nothing but soft paper, no pens or pencils. No staples or paperclips in his papers. Use the sliding food carrier, no exceptions. Do not accept anything he attempts to hold out to you. Do you understand me?" He explains.

"I understand." You nod firmly.

"I'm going to show you why we insist on such precautions..." Dr. Chilton pauses to grab a picture. "On the afternoon of July 8, 1981, he complained of chest pains and was taken to the Infirmary. His mouthpiece and restraints were removed for the EKG. When the nurse bent over him, he did this to her..."

He handed you the picture. Not a second after looking at it, your face goes pale with nausea. You take a deep breath, making your stomach less tense. This seems to please Dr. Chilton.

"The Doctors managed to reset her jaw, more or less, and save one of her eyes. His pulse never got over eighty-five, even when he ate her tongue." He pauses, smiling creepily. "I keep him in there." Dr. Chilton points to the very last cell in the eerie, stone hallway. He turns and pushes a button. A loud buzz burns your eardrums, then the steel door slowly opens. You see Barney again, standing and watching the cameras. On the walls of one of the other rooms connected are restraints, mouthpieces, mace, and tranquilizer guns.