Chapter 7

You're sitting at your desk, exercising your right hand with a grip Flexer, while simultaneously studying a thick law book. Adrelia sticks her head in the door, excited. "You better come see this." She says, you stand up and begin to follow her.

On a TV screen, filled with photos of Catherine Martin. "...Was listed at first simply as a missing person but is now believed to have been kidnapped by the serial killer known as 'Buffalo Bill." you hear from the TV, the photo disappears, replaced by the TV anchor himself "Memphis police sources indicate that the missing girl's blouse has been identified, sliced up the back, in what has become a kind of grim calling card. Young Catherine Martin, as we've said, is the only daughter of the U.S. senator Ruth Martin." the TV anchor says. You look at Adrelia, surprised. Other trainees are drifting into the rec room, some whispering among themselves. You stare back at the TV intently.

"... The republican junior senator from Tennessee. And while her kidnapping is not at this point considered to be politically motivated, nevertheless it has stirred the government - ...To its highest levels, the president himself being said to be, and I quote 'Intensely concerned.' just moments ago, senator Martin made this dramatic plea..." the TV anchor says, Senator Martin is then presented on the screen "I'm speaking now the person holding my daughter. Her name is Catherine... You have the power to let Catherine go, unharmed. She's very gentle and kind - talk to her and you'll see. Her name is Catherine." the senator says, you feel moved by what the Senator said, "boy is that smart..." you whisper "Why does she keep repeating her name?" Adrelia asked "Somebody's coaching her... they're trying to make him see Catherine as a person - not just an object." You tell her, you look back to the TV "You have a chance to show the whole world you can be merciful, as well as strong. Please - I beg you - release my Catherine." The Senator says

New footage is being showed, a taped off section of Catherine's parking lot. Technicians with instruments are kneeling down by the crushed grocery bags. "Meanwhile. In Memphis, the investigation continued throughout the night, as state and local authorities were joined at the kidnapping scene by the agents of the FBI..." the TV anchor says, Jack Crawford is seen striding towards the front doors of Catherine's apartment. Other trainees set up a brief, ironic cheer. But Adrelia turns sympathetically to troubled Y/N. "I don't know whether to say, 'I'm sorry,' or 'congratulations.' but girl? - you just went prime time..." Adrelia says to you.

You leave with Crawford to the Museum of natural history. As you arrive the massive Victorian building looms over constitution avenue. You walk up the steps carrying a small plastic box. "I don't think he knew that she's a senator's child. She's a big girl, Y/N, like all the rest. We're going on the theory she was randomly targeted by size..." Crawford says to you. In the Museum corridor a museum guard accompanies you, walking through an eerie landscape of dinosaur bones - crouching skeletons with blank eye sockets and gaping fangs. "By now, Bill's had her for 36 hours. That leaves us just 36 more, before he kills her... But maybe, just maybe, Y/N, we caught a real break this time - thanks to you. We found another bug in Raspail's head." Crawford says. You continue walking to the museum office, you see a large rhinoceros beetle, as it weaves its clumsy way among the men on a chessboard, before finally stepping off the edge, onto a lettuce leaf.

"Time, Pilch! My move." Roden said "No fair! you lured him with produce" pilcher says. You look at the two entomologists, both 30 Ish, hunched over the board. Roden is a pudgy red head; Pilcher is lean, quite handsome. "Tough noogies! it's still my turn" Roden says "If the beetle moves one of your men, does that count?" you say sarcastically, they both look up, delighted to see in the doorway. "of course, it does. How do you play" Roden answers " Officer Y/N. Welcome back." You all head to the entomologist's laboratory, in the corridor Roden peers done to see the insect you're carrying. "Where the hell did this one come from? It's practically mush." Roden says "you really don't want to know" you answer "your west Virginia specimen gave us quite the trouble, but I finally managed to narrow his species through chaetaxy - studying the skin." Pilcher says "I'm the one who found his perforating proboscis! Are you wearing a gun, right now?" Roden says, you nod. "Ooh cool! can I see it? can I?" Roden adds "just ignore him. He's not a Ph. D." Pilcher says.