One Year Down

The soft coos of his daughter in her bassinet woke Sam up. He glanced at his sleeping girlfriend next to him, still exhausted from the baby not sleeping through the night fully. "Did Mommy pump so we can get ready for the day, pretty girl?" He picked Juniper up from her crib, snuggling her into his chest as he walked into the kitchen in search of milk for his daughter. "Your Mommy is a milk machine, Beanie. I'm sure there's something in here. And then we'll get you all cleaned up and a bath for you to go with Uncle Daniel so Mommy and Daddy can have the day all to themselves. Because Daddy wants to celebrate and love Mommy extra today." He quickly kissed her cheek as she smiled up at him. He pulled a bag of milk out of the fridge, pouring it into her bottle, placing it in the warmer. She reached up and pulled on her father's hair. "Ow, kiddo. You gotta be nice to Daddy."

    While the bottle was warming, he walked to get her bouncer so he could put it on the counter. "Mom's gonna kill me when she sees you up this high, but Dad has to put his hair up and work on breakfast. So, pretty girl, what's your plans with Dan the Man today?" He asked, placing her into her bouncer, strapping her in. He threw his hair into a messy bun, looking down at his daughter. She began to babble at him, placing her fist in her mouth. "All those plans? We're gonna have to leave you with Uncle Daniel for a week with all those plans. Let's get your belly full before we solidify plans, huh?" He placed her bottle in her mouth after checking the temperature, "There it is, my sweet girl. I don't know what I wanna do with Mommy yet today. I want to go walk around the farmers market, and take her out to a nice dinner so we can get food together now that Mommy's not pregnant anymore. But I don't know. I want Mommy to catch all the zzz's she can. Hmmm, do you think your Mommy would let me take her stargazing? You know, that's how I fell in love with your Mommy. Even before you, your Mommy has always had a hard time sleeping. She'd wake up in the middle of the night and when it was warm enough, she would go lay in the backyard at Nana Kelli's house, just gazing at the stars until she fell back asleep. I always mourned the cold months because I would miss her. After the night I knew I loved her, I started setting an alarm so I could catch her. I always lied and said I couldn't sleep either. We would stay up and talk for hours, pointing out stars. Slowly over time, I knew your Mommy would be my wife, I just had to convince her. And then you came along my little star shine." He tapped her nose. "And that was the first day your Mommy told me she loved me. And wouldn't you believe it, I was so scared shitless that I couldn't even revel in it. When we lost your twin, I thought I was going to lose your Mommy forever. But our love prevailed, and it does every day. And today is our first anniversary. How crazy is that, Beanie? You're four months old and we're having our one year."

    He burped her, placing her back into her bouncer, continuing with breakfast as Juniper babbled back at him. Danny's contact photo lit up his phone on the counter. "Hello Daniel!" "Sam, I need to ask you a question." "What about? You're still watching Beanie, right?" "Yes, but it's about watching Beanie. I met a girl last week at a show, and she wants to take me on one of her shoots but I'm going to have Beanie. Are you and Lay okay if I take her? I'm telling you, man. She's a knockout. We've been talking and texting nonstop, it's like I'm addicted to the sound of her voice." Sam smirked, "What's her name?" "Ivy. A cool name for a cool babe. She's a vet tech right now, trying to make it as a band photographer. I told her she can shoot our shows and studio sessions." "When are you going to introduce her to everyone?" "I'm hoping she likes Beanie enough that it puts my toes in the water." "I'm fine with it. And Layla trusts you, too. So, I'm answering for her and saying yes. It'll be overnight, though." "That's perfectly fine. I have her bassinet set up by my bed."

    He finished breakfast while talking with Danny, hanging up once he's finished. "Mommy sounds like she's awake, Beanie. Should we go check?" He carried Layla's plate in one arm and Juniper in the other, walking back in his bedroom. Layla smiled at him sleepily, "There's my baby. Did you and Daddy go on an adventure?" "Tell Mommy that we cooked you breakfast in bed." Layla took their daughter out of her boyfriend's arm, kissing her cheek. "You helped Daddy cook me breakfast? Such a big girl. Thank you, my baby." Juniper smiled up at her mother as she spoke. "Is Daddy gonna share the pancakes with me?" She asked, looking over at Sam, who was already cutting into them. "Oh fuck, drinks." He ran into the kitchen and ran back with orange juice for the both of them. They laid in bed and lazily shared the pancakes he prepared, playing with their daughter. "She's meeting Daniel's girl thing today." Layla looked at him confused, "Girl thing?" "Daniel met a girl. He talked about her the way I talk about you." "And how's that?" She asked, brushing a hair from his face. "Like you're the only woman in the world. Like I have tunnel vision when it comes to you. Like you have my whole heart and soul on a string around your neck." "I'm in love with you." "In love? Oh wow." She rolled her eyes, "You couldn't just tell me you love me back or kiss me, you had to poke fun." He grabbed the back of her head, pulling her into a deep kiss. "You stay in bed, I'm gonna pack Bean up so we can celebrate us." "I just wanna catch up on sleep." "We will and then I have big plans." "You aren't putting another baby in me." "Talk about ruining a moment." He picked up Juniper, "Let's go, Beanie. Since your Mommy so rudely doesn't want to give you a sibling." She promptly burped and spit up down his back. "Lay! Get a towel. It's in my hair." Layla walked into the bathroom and retrieved a towel, wiping her boyfriend up, giggling. "You gotta shower now, goofy. I'll wash her up in the sink while you shower." "I'll be quick."