Everything Ends

Thunder unexpectedly claps in the now deep-blue and purple sky, roughly detaching me from my thoughts and causing Clara to jump nearly out of her chair. I place my hand on hers to still her and watch as Tasha's face fills the space between the mountains. "Ah, look who's woken up," I quip smilingly. "Doctor!" she bellows, and I shut my eyes.

"I'm right here, dear, there's really no need to shout."

This time when I joke, she does not smirk in the way she used to. "The Church of the Silence requests parlay. Your rights and safety are sanctified."

I nod. "I'll be right up." Tasha's head blinks its eyes. "I'm sending a transporter," she tells me, but I shake my head. "Nah, don't bother," I grunt, heaving myself out of the chair. "I've got my motor back." The Mother Superious' face fades from the sky, and now everything is quiet once more. Clara glances at me. "It's gone dark," she observes. I smile. "Well, the sun's gone down."

She follows me as I hobble down the stairs, headed for my room under the clock tower. The trip down the steps seems to be faster than the trip up, and for that I am grateful. "Already?" she inquires disbelievingly as I gather my coat from the chair in which I laid it. I tap my cane on the floor once, and the door opens at the front of the room, revealing the TARDIS a good few meters away. I look at Clara, standing in the threshold, and feel a tension in my jaw from where I was clenching my teeth together unconsciously. She blinks at me. I give her the tiniest smile, the only one I can muster.

"Everything ends, Clara. And sooner than you think."