Chapter nine 🧡

Chapter Nine

Tryouts

Anike's POV

"Good afternoon Everyone. My name is Giwa Oluwafemi, but you can call me coach. Now, the both of you want to join the great Royals basketball team. Are you ready for the try out?"

The tall huge man wearing a complete jersey and a head warmer, who just introduced himself as the coach asked and my heart skipped a beat.

I looked at the other players who were sitting on the bench busy talking.

They all looked so smart and ready to play and I could see why the coach added great while introducing them.

I was first surprised to see Jayden and Jeff there from afar but Mariam who escorted me here because I was too nervous informed me that Jayden was even the captain of the team.

To be honest, am I ready?

I have only played with a group of people who do not seem as strong as these people and maybe that is why I have always won.

"Yes sir. I am ready."

The boy standing beside me said,

He was way taller than I was, he would be the same height as Jayden and Jeff and he also looked good. Looking at him already shows he is in their league.

I just look like a potato here.

"What about you?"

I turned to the coach, shocked with how all his focus was now on me.

"Yes sir, I am ready."

I muttered as quietly as possible.

Ahh, my God.

There is no energy in my response already.

I already sound so weak and he could feel it. The way he smiled after hearing me just made me feel like he could sense all my insecurities and weaknesses.

"Well, let's get to it. Korede will be playing with the boys while Anike will be playing with the girls. The boys first. Let us get to it."

He clapped his hands after he finished talking.

His voice was so loud and authoritative that the boys stood up at that second. They ran to the court while I walked to the bench.

I sat quietly while listening to the other girls talk.

"I have missed watching Jayden play."

A voice said and someone else chuckled.

"Me too. The boy is just so cute. I heard he has broken up with Sophia. Good riddance."

"God, he sat down beside me just now and I almost melted."

"It is Jeff for me. the perfect nerd and he is single."

"He has been single since forever. I don't care. All I see is Jayden. Look at him running."

Wow,

I kept quiet and kept on listening to all of them talk about Jayden.

They literally acted like I was invisible, and I almost wanted to greet them to confirm that I was real.

I could understand them, I am not a part of the team yet so they must be keeping their class.

Talking about the boys is what they did throughout the match.

I tried to enjoy it but some words coming out of their mouths made it hard to do that.