Chapter 31

"We are lucky, huh?" said the pregnant woman in front of him. She turned around to face Ariel. Her bump was quite big and Ariel guessed she could be more than 6 months pregnant.

"Are you from here?" she asked, trying to start a conversation. Ariel was reluctant to answer her but seeing the line in front of them, he thought he could kill some time.

"Yes." replied Ariel. The woman smiled. She caressed her stomach gently.

"That's great. My partner and i are not from here. Luckily we got here in time." said the woman. Her partner who is just standing besides her just nodded.

Ariel realised both of them are young people. They could be younger than him. It makes Ariel realised how lucky they are to have their own property.

"Hey, where is yours?" asked the woman suddenly. Her eyes darted around, as if she was trying to look for someone.

"Huh?" Ariel was clueless. The woman chuckled.

"Your partner. I thought I hear him when you first got here." explained the woman.

"Oh no. He's not my partner. He's my friend." said Ariel. He was feeling annoyed with the random thought.

The woman chuckled. "He and I also started as 'friends'"she makes the hand sign when she said the word friends and continued, "But look at us 9 months later." she pointed at her body. Her partner just chuckled faintly and immediately turned his gaze away.

9 months?

Ariel tried to do the calculation in his head. The pregnant woman smiled.

"It's anytime soon." said the woman.

"Ah." Ariel nodded awkwardly. "When is the due?" he asked.

"Two days." replied the woman.

"I see."

The woman chuckled. "Sorry, mum's brain. Two days ago."

"What?!" Ariel's eyes turned bigger. He was shocked to hear the reply and he looked at her up and down.

That woman must be crazy to be in that kind of place when she was overdue. And she still got that energy to stand behind the line.

"It must get done before the baby pops out." explained the woman as she noticed the reaction from Ariel.

What is so important that you can't wait after you give birth?

The woman wanted to chat more but she just got called from the woman who yelled before. Ariel realised the line has moved up and he and the pregnant woman are the last two.

"Bye." said the pregnant woman as she enter the room with her partner.

Soon she left, Ariel sighed. People nowadays are too crazy. He looked around to look for Ryo since he has been gone for quite some times. Since there is no one else except for him and the strict looking lady, Ariel decided to sit.

"Can I get your ID? And where is your partner?" asked the lady when she approached Ariel.

Again Ariel was upset that another one called Ryo as his partner. He took out the ID and said, "I don't know where he is."

The lady scoffed. "Are you joking? You can't enter the room if you're coming alone." scolded the lady.

Ariel frowned. He was confused as what it had to do with bringing partner just to retrieve documents from them. "Let me call him."said Ariel, feeling annoyed that he has to be scolded from someone just because Ryo left him.

But the devil turned up soon as Ariel wanted to dial his number. He was running towards them.

"Where did you go?" asked Ariel, pouting. Ryo grinned.

"Sorry. It was work. Hey, I already-"

"Pass your ID, please." said the lady, cutting off Ryo's words.

Ryo was baffled but Ariel signaled him to just follow what the lady asked. Ryo took out his ID and the lady snatched it rudely and returned back to her desk.

"Geez, what's wrong with her." said Ryo.

"Ignore her. She was like that since before."said Ariel. He looked at Ryo who was holding a large envelope.

"What's that?" asked Ariel while pointing at the envelope.

Ryo looked at it, "Oh, this? Well I already got the-"

"Enough chit chat! Now get into the room." the lady from before shushed them and instructed them to go into the room.

Ariel mumbled something when he walked into the room. Most of them are curses for the lady for being rude. When they entered the room, an old man was sitting at the chair.

"Sign here please." said the man as he pointed to a big book. Ariel wanted to ask why but then he thought maybe the old man wanted to keep record for every visitors. After he sighed, the old man instructed Ryo to do the same.

Ariel felt weird as why the old man needs two people to sign the attendance book. He wanted to ask but the old man, straighten up his body and cleared his throat.

"Do you two have vows?" he asked. Ariel exchanged looks with Ryo before he turned back to the old man.

"What vows?" asked Ariel. The old man sighed.

"Keeping it simple I guess."said the old man. He then took out a book and started reciting some of the texts.

Ariel was feeling more confused so he whispered to Ryo. "He's acting weird. What does it mean by vows? Do we have to declare something even if we want to take the lease for property?"

Ryo lifted his eyebrows. "But I already got the lease." said Ryo, lifting up the envelope.

Ariel's eyes turned big. "What?!"

"I found the office when I was taking the call. I tried to call but you did not answer. So I got into the office and get the lease." explained Ryo.

"If that so, what are we're doing here?"

Ryo shrugged his shoulders. "You're the one who insisted for us to follow the lady."

"But I thought this is the office!" argued Ariel. He continued, "We have to get out. This old man started to creep me out."

Ariel turned his head to stop the old man but he seemed to just finish his sentences. The old man lifted up his face and looked at both of them in serious face.

"With the power vested in me, I now pronounced you two, husband and wife." said the old man.

"What?!!!" both Ariel and Ryo said at the same times. The envelope dropped to the floor.